Xtar D26 1600 light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am growing to dislike the "Lock" mechanism on my D26 1600 more and more.

I did 2 dives with mine last weekend, both with the light just clipped to my left shoulder strap on my harness. On both dives, I started with the light "locked". On both dives, the light still got turned on accidentally and was just riding there on my harness burning up battery that I might have needed later.

I like the 1600 better in most ways, but I really do prefer the physical lock mechanism that they have on the D26 Whale.

If you unscrew the battery tube slightly, about 1/8 of a turn or so the light won't turn on. When you need to use, re-tighten, press power button and you are good to go.

Anyone ever design a cover/etc? I have a DGX600 but was considering buying the D26 1600... also considering a standard D26 whale...

Anyone ever design a cover/etc? I have a DGX600 but was considering buying the D26 1600... also considering a standard D26 whale...

I have not. I don't have time. I wear mine on a Goodman handle always and it works well. I use the regular D26 as a backup.

If I was buying a light I would much prefer the regular D26. Or even 2 D26, the 1600 very slightly brighter beam doesn't make up for the fact that it constantly turns itself on in my bag, or if I clip it off to a d ring, all but guaranteed to be on when I get out.

I'm 100% sure at some point I'll be in the dark because of the lock mechanism on the 1600. Just my 2 cents...

I have not. I don't have time. I wear mine on a Goodman handle always and it works well. I use the regular D26 as a backup.

If I was buying a light I would much prefer the regular D26. Or even 2 D26, the 1600 very slightly brighter beam doesn't make up for the fact that it constantly turns itself on in my bag, or if I clip it off to a d ring, all but guaranteed to be on when I get out.

I'm 100% sure at some point I'll be in the dark because of the lock mechanism on the 1600. Just my 2 cents...

This.

Any other lights all together you guys recommend? If the 1600 isn’t noticeably brighter, I may get the 1100 then and use it as my primary for now with the DGX as backup... I saw a cheap can light that uses two 26650 batteries ($150)...

Any other lights all together you guys recommend? If the 1600 isn’t noticeably brighter, I may get the 1100 then and use it as my primary for now with the DGX as backup... I saw a cheap can light that uses two 26650 batteries ($150)...

I will reiterate what I've read / been told here and elsewhere. The only reason for a can light is burn time (and some really expensive models can focus which is kinda cool). If you're only doing recreational diving a D26 (or equivalent) will be all you need. You don't / won't need crazy long run times, so save yourself a few $$. If anything, have a spare battery for the SI, (although I've never needed it and have since stopped carrying).

Just for reference I did a night dive last week and used the 1600 on a Goodman handle and the 1100 as backup. First dive was 70 min, 2nd was 50 min. 1600 stayed on the entire time and I never used the backup. I would have probably needed the backup on a 3rd dive.

The batteries were fully charged before going.

Damnit @stuartv, you changed your avatar and I didn't even recognize you!!

I get so used to peoples pictures I blow by the name, when they change their pic I feel kinda lost?!?!

So if making a Goodman would you recommend the 1100 still over the 1600? I could maybe try to design a cover to print/share for the 1600...

I have both, the turn lock gets bumped easily and the electronic lock of the newer one works well but you have to remember how to use it but most of the time I have a cheap ebay light clipped off that I find more useful, these are very short have a slide switch that hits a few different brightness settings and can be bought for a bit over $20 with a 26650 battery. Not as bright as the x-tar but for me as bright as I usually need, in lower viz like Monterey brighter often is worse the not.

Back
Top Bottom