Xstream or Ruby for cold deep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mointampa

Registered
Reaction score
What would be the recommendation for cold water (5-10C, 40-50F) deep diving regs?

Poseidon Xstream Dive 90 or Mares ruby?

Which would be easier to breathe, less prone to freeflow, better heat exchange, etc?

I'd go for the XStream (hands down) - if you can and want to afford it and if you can get it serviced in your area.
Check out the Apeks regs (ATX100 etc) too but I would stay away from ScubaPro regs if you really want to do deep cold water diving....

I would probably go with the Poseidon XStream as well rather than the Ruby.
IMHO you are wasting your money with the Ruby. I have a Mares Abyss and it is as good as the Ruby if not better. I have a Poseidon Jetstream too but like the Abyss better.
If you have doubts whether the Abyss can handle depth: http://www.mares.com/NS_NewsView.asp?news=55

although everything has a fault point, stay away from the ruby. It has a very expensive part that if broken, I think it is one of the hardest current erg parts to find. I bet you can't guess what it is.
On the other hand while i would recommend the Xstream in a second the first time I used it it breathes a little different than a conventional reg, so if you can try it first I would, but it is a great reg. And as mentioned i would examine how easily you can have it serviced.

Poseidon, hands down. If you are willing to look at other regs, Apeks are very good too. I've been a Poseidon junkie for a few years now. They now make their Duration XStream (the green one, nitrox compatible) with an increased number of ports, so it's suited for rec diving now too. I just picked one up and love it - I use one of my Odin's as my secondary reg on setup, and the xstream as my primary and is a very sweet setup.

So the Xstream Duration has the same number of ports as the Dive90?

One model of it does...they did it kind of goofy.

First the release all the tech versions of the reg, w/ only 1hp and 2lp ports.

Then they released the dive, which had a "normal" number of ports.

Then they released a second version of the duration that had the same number of ports that the dive regulator has.

Just something to watch out for when you buy them - my girlfriends dad has a duration w/ only three ports - my girlfriend and i got the durations w/ the normal number of ports so that we could use them while on vacations and using rental tanks with single valves.

just for clarification - you have a xstream duration with 2HP and 5LP ports? Are they the same price as the dive90? I wonder if scubatoys stocks these?

mointampa:
What would be the recommendation for cold water (5-10C, 40-50F) deep diving regs?

Poseidon Xstream Dive 90 or Mares ruby?

Which would be easier to breathe, less prone to freeflow, better heat exchange, etc?
th x stream is far superior,excellent reg

mointampa - yep, i've got a duration w/ 2hp and 5lp ports. Same port config as the dive. I'm not sure of the price, but I think they are the same as all the others.q

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom