XS Scuba Quick Attach Weight Pocket - Bummer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son

Contributor
Reaction score
This is the small pocket for putting weights up to 5 lbs on 2 inch webbing, has velcro so you can wrap it around without taking the rig apart to install it.

the velcro seemed like a good idea, didn't work out so well in practice. I bought 2 of them to fix a trim problem, put them on my shoulder straps. Did 3 dives saturday & somewhere along the way, one of them went walkabout. Not on the boat, no other choice. It's now part of a dive site, 2 of which were in 100 FSW. So a new pouch, a 2 lb soft weight, ppptttthhhhhtttttt!!!

Bought a replacement, same one so the 2 will match. But I'm going to sew the velcro side together on each of them so they can't come off once they're on.

Oh well, at least it wasn't a real expensive mistake...

I had the same thing happen to me in about 60' of water with a current. Spent about 1/4 of a tank of air trying to get the pocket back. Got it back and triple checked the velco on the next dive. Did 10 dives after that without a problem but as soon as I returned home, I had the velco sewn shut. Speaking for my case only, I think it was my fault and I didn't secure the velco good enough.

Shoulder straps? Strange place to put em
Why didn't you put them on the upper camband?

Shoulder straps? Strange place to put em
Why didn't you put them on the upper camband?
I was thinking the same thing. I have two on my cambands, the pressure from the bands holds them in place no matter if the velcro comes loose or not.

Hey WaySon:
I'm sorry to hear your problem.

The WB101QA (Quick-Attach Weight Pocket) was made at the request of some of our largest dealers. They wanted a way to quickly add a little weight to their student's weight belt while in the water, without removing their weight belt. The double Velcro closure works well in this application with the Weight Pocket attached in a horizonal position and the pocket flat against the diver.

The WB101xx (Standard Weight Pocket) does not have Velcro to to attach it to 2" webbing. This is our best selling Weight Pocket. This Weight Pocket has to be slipped over the end of the 2" webbing. It's the best design for use most applications. Top and bottom of the pocket is sewn and bar-tacked for security. It is most commonly used on weight belts and cam band straps.

We never really designed any of our Weight Pockets for attachment to shoulder straps.

I'm happy to talk with you regarding attachment to shoulder staps. Maybe, if there is enough call we would design a new Weight Pocket for this use.

Please give me a call, toll-free 866 977-2822.

This is the small pocket for putting weights up to 5 lbs on 2 inch webbing, has velcro so you can wrap it around without taking the rig apart to install it.

the velcro seemed like a good idea, didn't work out so well in practice. I bought 2 of them to fix a trim problem, put them on my shoulder straps. Did 3 dives saturday & somewhere along the way, one of them went walkabout. Not on the boat, no other choice. It's now part of a dive site, 2 of which were in 100 FSW. So a new pouch, a 2 lb soft weight, ppptttthhhhhtttttt!!!

Bought a replacement, same one so the 2 will match. But I'm going to sew the velcro side together on each of them so they can't come off once they're on.

Oh well, at least it wasn't a real expensive mistake...

the reason for my shoulders is to straighten out my trim. No matter what suit, tank, etc, I'm always feet heavy. A friend had these made by oxycheq & I tried them with 2lbs each, problem solved. I trim out nice & horizontal. I don't know whether on the upper band would have been enough to do it or not, or if I'd like them there regarding putting the wt behind me & maybe farther away from my center of gravity. I tried this in the water, it worked. So I hunted around a bit & found these by XS Scuba on Phil's web site & bought them.

Had I known how easy it is to lose one, I woulda bought the non-velcro ones & took the rig apart to install them. I didn't, oh well.

Good idea. If it's something that'll be stuck on, used for a dive & removed, prolly is secure enough. If you're doing multiple dives, on a boat, intend for the wt to just stay there all the time, the non-velcro would be the way to go I think.

Fortunately they're not real expensive, so I didn't lose that much. Mostly aggravation at losing it so fast, LOL

The part that wraps around the webbing is 3.5 x 4.75 inches, outside measurements. They also make the same thing without velcro, which is probably what I should have bought for this application.l

Is that 3.5 wide by 4.75 inches tall? Just trying to figure out for my rig :)

They will hold up to a 5# hard weight. A 5# soft weight will also fit but it is a very tight .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom