XS Scuba Miflex Hose FAILURE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grender

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The following are pictures of the O-Ring of my recently purchased MiFlex Hose. 15 minutes into my first dive of the day (3rd dive total on the hose), my primary second stage started spewing air from the coupling to the hose. 85 feet down, losing about 200 PSI per minute, I was able to make a safe ascent, 2 minute safety stop and get back to the boat.

Aside from being PISSED that my brand new reg setup was out of commish. I had to do the second dive with a rental reg setup from the dive operation, (which was not bad at all).

I contacted the seller from Amazon but they refused to take it back. The seller is 'Shop 709' on Amazon.
Here is their page: Amazon.com At a Glance: Shop 709 Corp.

fdch3ds.jpg

mwcM2wl.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1842.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 408
  • IMG_1844.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 388
You're in Florida, and didn't buy a hose locally ?? Did you try a new o-ring ? Did you inspect/lube the first one ?

You're in Florida, and didn't buy a hose locally ?? Did you try a new o-ring ? Did you inspect/lube the first one ?

The main point of the post is the fact that I shouldn't have to be dealing with a burst O-ring on my third dive with the hose.

I bought the hose on Amazon because I was buying it along with a Pinnacle wetsuit that my local dive shop didn't have.

My plan of action is to get a new O-ring, so it wont be a huge loss.

And yes, of course, I inspected and lubed it when I got it in the mail.

And yes, of course, I inspected and lubed it when I got it in the mail.

so you are blaming the seller for what appears to be an installation caused issue?

Also, this post is improperly titled a hose failure (such as burst, bad crimp, etc.). O-rings are a failure we acknowledge..... and mentioned in "near misses", not to putting down a supplier, unless it was shipped in poor condition (which you said it was good)...

meh....

so you are blaming the seller for what appears to be an installation caused issue?
I have installed hundreds of low pressure hoses in my life and this has never been an issue. Mind you, this is the O-ring on the coupling between the second stage and the hose (So over tightening should not have been an issue). The O-ring was clearly defective as it failed after less than an hour of dive time.

Also, this post is improperly titled a hose failure (such as burst, bad crimp, etc.). O-rings are a failure we acknowledge..... and mentioned in "near misses", not to putting down a supplier, unless it was shipped in poor condition (which you said it was good)...

meh....

So you don't think the manufacturer should take any blame for the fact that the O-ring of a brand new hose failed with less than 1 hour of dive time? It was a failure of quality control at the manufacturer and I reported it as such.

Seems like pretty harsh reactions from others 'cause it looks like you got a defective hose to me.

Lots of people buy online, it's pretty common.

If I bought a new hose I wouldn't buy a new O'ring it comes with them and by the way that O ring does not need lube

---------- Post added August 5th, 2015 at 08:11 PM ----------

meh....

This is absolutely a hose failure because it is a hose component that failed. The cause is impossible to determine from what we are seeing here. I "suspect" it was because the second stage and hose wasn't tight and it backed off while in use, however it is also possible it was just a bad o'ring.

---------- Post added August 5th, 2015 at 08:12 PM ----------

Seems like pretty harsh reactions from others 'cause it looks like you got a defective hose to me.

agree. It was way harsh reactions.

Last edited:
Had that o-ring been defective when it was first installed, it would have been leaking right away. It appears to me that the connection was not properly tightened when first installed. And when it loosened and started to leak a bit, it was then retightened while under pressure. Unfortunately, when that loose connection starts to actually leak just a little, it pushes the o-ring out of the groove. When it is then tightened, that action cuts the o-ring in a way that looks exactly as pictured and the leak becomes quite severe.

You probably should apologize and replace the o-ring.

Sorry you had an issue. Happy you are safe.
A new/unused hose to you may have been sitting on a shelf for days or years. I change this o-ring with every service,(2 years or less) and carry a spare when diving. Never needed the spare but for 25 cents it could make the difference between a missed dive and a great dive.

How did the o-ring feel when you removed it to lube it? I have always noticed when they are getting old because they become stiff. I have had some break when removing, as they have lost flexibility which is why they break.

Looks like an O-ring that was extruded due to incomplete seating of the ferrule and retaining nut or possibly pinched during installation. I am afraid I would have to chalk this one up to user/installation error.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom