XS scuba HP 119 vs Faber HP 117

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowofwar

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with these thanks? Both are the new 3442 psi pressed steel models. I've heard that XS tanks are just rebranded Faber tanks so are they basically the same thing?

The faber tank's characteristics are a bit better
DIAMETER: 8.02 inches
LENGTH: 24.21 insches
WEIGHT EMPTY: 38.9 lbs.
BUOYANCY FULL: - 9.12 lbs.
BUOYANCY EMPTY: - 0.16 lbs.

vs the XS tank's
Inches in Diameter: 8"
Inches in Length: 24"
Weight Empty = 42lbs
Buoyancy Full = -10.9lbs
Buoyancy Empty = -2lbs

Neither are galvanized, the faber has that resistant paint and it looks like the XS one is just plain steel. Is that a concern?

I wanted to get the ~120psi tanks so I could shortfill them to 3,000 psi and get around 100 psi and be able to use them with either yoke or din regs (are the valves with the screw in yoke adaptor any good?). I wouldn't feel comfortable using them at max pressure with a yoke valve.

cowofwar:
I've heard that XS tanks are just rebranded Faber tanks so are they basically the same thing?

These cylinders are a unique design from Worthington Cylinders. They are not rebranded Faber cylinders.

cowofwar:
Neither are galvanized, the faber has that resistant paint and it looks like the XS one is just plain steel.

The Worthington/XS Scuba cylinders are, in fact, steel galvanized cylinders. You can take a look at them at the following link in my website.

Worthington Galvanized Steel HP119 Cylinder

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Phil Ellis
Dive Sports Online
www.divesports.com
(800) 601-DIVE

PhilEllis:
These cylinders are a unique design from Worthington Cylinders. They are not rebranded Faber cylinders.

The Worthington/XS Scuba cylinders are, in fact, steel galvanized cylinders. You can take a look at them at the following link in my website.
Oh thanks, didn't notice that.

Is the only difference between the XS 119 and 120 the length/diameter? It looks like the 119 is the wide diameter, short length model while the 120 is the smaller diameter, longer length model.

I was thinking of getting the 119 since I often find myself using picnic tables for gearing up and long tanks tend to be a bother. Would a the shorter, wider tank create any issues? I'm 6'1" and 155lbs so while I have the height for longer tanks I like the idea of shorter ones. I've only ever dived with standard al80 tanks.

cowofwar:
Oh thanks, didn't notice that.

Is the only difference between the XS 119 and 120 the length/diameter? It looks like the 119 is the wide diameter, short length model while the 120 is the smaller diameter, longer length model.

I was thinking of getting the 119 since I often find myself using picnic tables for gearing up and long tanks tend to be a bother. Would a the shorter, wider tank create any issues? I'm 6'1" and 155lbs so while I have the height for longer tanks I like the idea of shorter ones. I've only ever dived with standard al80 tanks.
That's essentially the only difference. There are a ton of threads here and elsewhere about issues with the 119's, which are basically 95s, some people like them, but there are a lot of threads about issues with them being so short.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom