XS Scuba Aluminium Travel Plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JJ_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello!

Somewhat of a newbie to ScubaBoard... but wondering if anyone has the XS Scuba travel plate (dogbone-style) in their BP/W setup?

I have a stainless for cold water that I've been using for travel as well, but starting to wonder if I could lighten my setup for warm water.
Any thoughts or likes/dislikes or alternate suggestions welcome! Mostly just trying not to break the bank...

Thanks in advance,
J

Piranha has numerous inexpensive options. This one would likely garner envy on the boat:
1718824270846.png

As mentioned above, just get a aluminum back-plate. I have a Sub Gravity 3mm aluminum back-plate, they come in standard or short length. 3mm Aluminum Backplate - SubGravity

$75.00. I've got 2 of them. One I've had for 13 years. Great quality, low price.

As mentioned above, just get a aluminum back-plate. I have a Sub Gravity 3mm aluminum back-plate, they come in standard or short length. 3mm Aluminum Backplate - SubGravity
Thanks so much for bringing my attention to this! Was actually looking for a shorter plate ideally since I'm small / petite and Halcyon's price point was too high.

Any chance if you know if I'll need an STA for the smaller SG size? I know the small Halcyon alum. plate don't have cam band slots and was trying to avoid that if possible. Thank you!

$75.00. I've got 2 of them. One I've had for 13 years. Great quality, low price.
Thanks for this! Love DGX but was ideally looking for a shorter BP since I'm pretty petite. Keeping my eye out on a used DGX 30lb wing if it comes up on the classifieds though :wink:

Thanks so much for bringing my attention to this! Was actually looking for a shorter plate ideally since I'm small / petite and Halcyon's price point was too high.

Any chance if you know if I'll need an STA for the smaller SG size? I know the small Halcyon alum. plate don't have cam band slots and was trying to avoid that if possible. Thank you!
Sorry for the delay.
Halcyon's stuff is way over priced and it's not that much better. You're just paying for the name.

It's not the back-plate, it's the style of the wing that determine if you need a STA or not. Sub Gravity wings do not require a STA. I would look at the whole Sub Gravity BP/W system. You get the choice of 2 aluminum (3 stainless steel) back-plates, 4 wing sizes, 3 weight pocket sizes and 2 harness styles. They make good quality gear and are extremely helpful and quick answering email questions.
I have their 3mm aluminum BP, 26 lb wing, drop down small weight pockets and adjustable harness for my travel set up. I love their adjustable harness, clean & simple with no plastic parts.

It's not the back-plate, it's the style of the wing that determine if you need a STA or not.
It's actually both. The backplate and the wing not need slots for the tank bands and the slots have to line up. Here's a pic:

1000010386.jpg

The tank band is the black band with Velcro (hook and loop) on it. I've separated the wing and plate so you can see the band goes through slots on both.

This is a different plate shot from the side that lays on your back. You can see both tank bands (black) going through their slots.

1000010388.jpg

It's actually both. The backplate and the wing not need slots for the tank bands and the slots have to line up.
Yes I know that. I just didn't explain it very well.

Don't forget Aluminum hardware, plastic tank strap buckles, plastic waist belt buckle. Pirahna has all of that.

To save weight. SS d rings can add up quick. My air travel rig only has two D rings. Left waist, and crotch. Rubber innertube loops, and/or bungie loops, still allow spool, dsmb, and flashlight mounting, if needed. (Unlikely)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom