Xcel Polar Tri Density

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Finally had a chance to try my semi-wet (semi-dry depending on how you look at wetsuits) in the chilly New England waters over the past weekend while doing some scallop diving in the Piscataqua River between Maine and New Hampshire.

Max depth during two dives was 56 fsw and average depth was around 45 feet with temps ranging from 43 to 49 degrees depending on where we were diving and what depth. Time in the water was about 30 minutes for each dive not counting time hanging loose waiting for the boat pickup with a 32 minute SI. In the river, it was actually colder for the first 10 feet or so, then warmed as you reached the bottom (if you can call 49 degrees warm).

Anyway, the suit worked very nicely. Virtually no water intrusion except when I turned my head sharply left or right in which case I would get a trickle of water down through the hood which warmed quickly to be unnoticable. I was "cool" while diving but core, arms and legs never got to what I would consider cold. My fingers did start to get cold towards the end of the second dive but not much you can do with 5 mil gloves on. I used some 2 mil neoprene socks under my booties so toes stayed nice and warm the entire time. While shucking the scallops in the back of the boat on the way back to the dock in the 39 degree air, I was still not what I would consider cold.

Bottom line, I am very pleased with the suit and can definately recommend it to anyone that dives cold water and is somewhat cold tolerant. Price is comparable to other suits in the "Semi-Dry" catagory at ~$400 through my LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom