X8-119, 14.8L Worthington Steel???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone have one? I like the fact that it's 24 inches in height just like the the X7-100 but has the extra gas; does 19 more cubic feet (specs say: 123.0 cu ft of true capacity) of air make the difference? How much more time does one actually get; an estimate?

Does the fact bother anyone that it's 8 inches in diamter over the 7.25 on the 100 steel?

Okay heres the tough question; how many dislike this tank because it weighs in at 42 lbs of dead weight over the 33 lbs on the steel 100. That is 9 lbs of difference, noticeable difference? Yes or No?

I'm only looking to purchasing one tank and at $345 bucks for either the 100 or the 119 it's just looking better and better that I go with the X8-119.

So what does everyone think?

My LDS is pushing the steel 100's anyone care to comment?

Thanks,

Mike

If that's really comparable with 14,8L in metric terms I dive with a 15L steel tank (somewhat lighter than this) and I find no problems with either trim or whatever, and I appreciate the capacity. :D

If you're a new diver, initially you'll appreciate the normal length of a dive, whereas later you'll get the added bonus. :)

You can actually see here how that fits a diver under water:
Image 1
Image 2

And also, live, on surface in the following clip, I'm (shaved head) using a steel 15, the other guy a 12 (ignore the fact that the tank is a bit low, was testing something):
Clip

Around here, steel 15L tanks are very common, like 60% of single tank divers use it, followed by 12 L. I've seen a 10L tank once...

I know lots of people running the X8-119 as singles, and even some guys using X8-130's. I used to use LP108's which are the same size as the 130's and I loved them. The nice thing about that 119 is if you happen to get a short fill, you'll still have more gas than the average diver out there, and if you decide to go tech down the road, double 119's are a very nice setup. I ended up doubling my 108's, and love them.

I have one I like it because I dive a 7mm farmer john wet suit and it lets me take some weight out of my BCD. If I was in warm water I would go for something lighter

Oh and as for the "extra" weight, yes there is more physical weight to it, but that will translate (some, but not all of that additional weight) into more in water negative weight, meaning you can knock a couple pounds off your weight belt to offset some of it.

Thank you for all your comments I really appreciate it. I do dive a lot of neoprene since I'm diving Monterey waters. Any warm water dives would not be for a long time and I would rent out there, but since I live in the SF bay area I would think this tank would be a good choice.

I'm small only 5'5 and the really long tanks bother me, the Alum 80's for example. I've dove the Faber 80's and enjoyed them and this Sunday I will dive Faber 100's. But I really have my eye on the Worthington X8-119.

I'm glad users of this tank stepped up because it was the 42 lbs of dead weight that were discouraging me, since my LDS said feel the difference, when he let me pick them up at the shop. He only had the faber 100 and had me pick that guy up and he was heavy but then again we are entering the water so lets build up those calves.

MG

If you're buying a HP tank, why not get the 130? The size & weight difference between the 119 & the 130 is pretty trivial, plus you get a little more gas.

If you're buying a HP tank, why not get the 130? The size & weight difference between the 119 & the 130 is pretty trivial, plus you get a little more gas.

The only downside I would see to that idea is the height. The 130 might not be a comfortable tank, since the OP said they're not a fan of long tanks, and is 5 foot 5.

The only downside I would see to that idea is the height. The 130 might not be a comfortable tank, since the OP said they're not a fan of long tanks, and is 5 foot 5.

If I were 6'1 or so I would prefer the longer tanks as oppose to the thick 119. I went down to the dive shop and checked out a 8 diameter steel 95, boy was that guy thick, I didn't realize how thick 8 inches really is next to the steel 80's.

I picked it up and played around with it and my LDS said he doesn't enjoy it because it bothers his trim but to each it's different. He is about 6 foot and prefers the longer tank.

I personally do not want a long tank on my back, 24 inches is the tallest that I'll go. But man is that bad boy thick, I hope my trim doesn't become affected.

Has anyone experienced the 119 pull them to the side as you tilt your body? It sure does look like it from just examining the tank over at closer inspection. Maybe it's just the dimensions that make your perceive that you will tilt with such a stocky tank.

I would really like to here from anyone that has dove this tank and tried the steel 100's which are the same height but not the same diameter.

Thanks,

MG

I started with a steel Faber FX-100 and added the 119 to my arsenal. I am 5' 9" and use both of them with no problems. I really like the 119 and have no trim issues with it.

Back
Top Bottom