X7 100 or X8 119 Worthington?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can you guys help me decide?

About the diver:

37 years old
175 lbs
5'5

No back, knee, leg problems.

Been diving steel 100 Fabers with 22 lbs of weight with no complaints in/out of the water. The Faber 100 is a heavy tank but I've managed it no problem. Would like to do some boat dives soon.

I'm a new diver only 11 dives to my belt.

I don't consume my air as quickly as my dive buddy. He's a lot larger than I.

Noticed that in Europe the 15L tank is used a lot as a single tank according to some divers on scuba board.

I know their is close to 10 lbs in difference between the 100 and the 119, so I have to remember I'm walking back to the car with all my gear.

Will the 100 be enough for the long run? My plan is to have a very decent amount of air for my single tank explorations at Monterey.

I've only dove Break Water and Lover's Point. For now I would only want to invest in one good tank that I can take me far.

Based on what I've stated what are your opinions?

Thanks,

MG

p.s
for those that have dove both tanks in the water; do you feel any differences in the water? Does one handle better than the other. I want to get it right, and I want you to know that I'm a recreational diver that is practicing photography underwater; I have already begun and am having a lot of fun.

Here are the specs:

Cylinder/BC weight/Tank weight/Tank weight+air/Tank+empty air/ total weight

X7 100 / 20 lbs / 33 lbs / 43 lbs / 40.5 lbs / 63 lbs

X8 119 / 20 lbs / 42 lbs / 52.9 lbs / 50.9 lbs / 72.9 lbs

63-72.9 = 9.9 lbs of difference between X7 and X8

I dive both. Don't notice any significant difference in the water.
I'm 5'7" and 180 and 58 years old. I like both tanks, but prefer the 119 because of the extra gas.

The 119 really allows one to take advantage of nitrox dives.

the K

Mike, you already own the Faber 100's? That would be a major factor in my decision.

If your object is to get some lead off of your belt, get a SS backplate. I have a spare one that you can borrow. I'm in Monterey most weekends and can walk you through it.

I dive single Faber 100's and love them. They're great for most of the diving that I do (boat diving, shallower than 120').

Don't worry about getting a mondo huge tank. As you get more dives under your belt, your air consumption will improve and you'll be surfacing with far more air than you need (especially if boat diving to deeper spots where you'll be limited by NDL rather than gas).

Mike, you already own the Faber 100's? That would be a major factor in my decision.

If your object is to get some lead off of your belt, get a SS backplate. I have a spare one that you can borrow. I'm in Monterey most weekends and can walk you through it.

I dive single Faber 100's and love them. They're great for most of the diving that I do (boat diving, shallower than 120').

Don't worry about getting a mondo huge tank. As you get more dives under your belt, your air consumption will improve and you'll be surfacing with far more air than you need (especially if boat diving to deeper spots where you'll be limited by NDL rather than gas).

Dannobee,

I don't own the Faber 100, I rent it from my LDS. I have rented 80 Aluminums, and the Faber 80 and 100's.

Can you explain to me what you mean by NDL on boat dives? I plan on doing boat dives with the Sanctuary or the Monterey Express and would rather rent their tanks, they use Steel 90 or 95's if I can remember.

So I don't think I would bring my tank. I use the PRO QD by Seaquest and have no problems with the integrated weights.

If the Faber 100's that I rent are really close almost identical in weight to the Worthington 119 during the pre-drive, should I go with that?

I know that post dive the Faber's 100's drop about 6 pounds, that's a lot. With the Worthington it's just 2 lbs of difference on empty tank.

Thanks,

MG

Can you explain to me what you mean by NDL on boat dives?

By NDL he means you'll reach your "No Decompression Limit" and have to ascend due to that before you run out of gas with a bigger tank (as your air consumption improves)

Back on subject, I've got Faber FX-100's and they are great. I don't think they are as great as the Worthington's, but they were $300 cheaper for a set than the Worthingtons were. If you're interested in the Fabers, check Divers Supply. They have the FX-100 on sale for $249 each and you can usually pick some deal such as free shipping or another discount which will offset the shipping.

Average price on the Worthington is $325 each and you have to pay shipping since they are not typically stocked and their distribution method is 'ship on order'.

Can you guys help me decide?

I've only dove Break Water and Lover's Point. For now I would only want to invest in one good tank that I can take me far.

FWIW, not even the 130 will give you 2 dives except short ones.

Okay,

This is really hard to decide. I just can afford only one tank for a while and want to make it a good one. Both the 100 and 119 worthington are the same price from my LDS. I just need to feel whether or not the 119 is too much for me. I also don't want to be in the water with the 100 and think man I could of used that extra 20 cubic feet of air.

If the 119 in the water handles just as nice as the 100, I will sway towards the 119. I should also be able to drop an additional 2 lbs of weight.

With the 100 I'm dialed in to 20 lbs no problem. But since the 119 is about 10 lbs heavier I could drop to 18 lbs.

Darn, this is just a tough thread, I'm sorry for being so undecisive for my tank....

MG

Okay,

This is really hard to decide. I just can afford only one tank for a while and want to make it a good one. Both the 100 and 119 worthington are the same price from my LDS. I just need to feel whether or not the 119 is too much for me. I also don't want to be in the water with the 100 and think man I could of used that extra 20 cubic feet of air.

If the 119 in the water handles just as nice as the 100, I will sway towards the 119. I should also be able to drop an additional 2 lbs of weight.

With the 100 I'm dialed in to 20 lbs no problem. But since the 119 is about 10 lbs heavier I could drop to 18 lbs.

Darn, this is just a tough thread, I'm sorry for being so undecisive for my tank....

MG

Do you have a "regular" dive buddy or group or club? If so, what do they have. It's a waste to have 119 when everyone else has an AL 80. But if they have bigger tanks, ....
Also, if you anticipate the possibility of shifting to doubles, 119s doubled up are a back killer! especially climbing a boat ladder or long walk up a beach.

Do you have a "regular" dive buddy or group or club? If so, what do they have. It's a waste to have 119 when everyone else has an AL 80. But if they have bigger tanks, ....
Also, if you anticipate the possibility of shifting to doubles, 119s doubled up are a back killer! especially climbing a boat ladder or long walk up a beach.

My dive buddy that is also a newbee is diving Faber 100's like me, well we rent them. He is a lot bigger than I and goes through his air quicker and we surface becuase he's low on the air.

He will be ordering the 120 worthington in the future, so I want to be within his range. I don't dive with anyone that has 80's as of yet.

I'm going down to my LDS with my BC and weights, they have both tanks; I want to saddle both of them and then walk around the shop. This will at least give me an idea of dry weight and if it's bearable.

MG

Okay,

MG

Mike if it were me and the cost were the same, I'd get the 119. The weight won't be an issue in the water, since any additional weight gained from the tank will be removed from your weight belt. The real issue will be hauling that thing to the shop for refills between dives. So which tank do you want to carry over to Glenns to get filled?
:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom