Wyndham Aura & DWM review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, Bill, when I checked in at the shop I told them that I might be a little excited about the dives I had scheduled and that I would appreciate the extra breathing room (as it were) that steel tanks would offer. No problems, there were 2 steel tanks waiting for me on the boat each morning.

Are you SURE they weren't AL 100s? Extra gas but not steel. That is what most Coz ops use when people ask for extra gas. I don't think DWM has any steel tanks, although I will stand to be corrected.

Yeah, sorry, not exactly sure about the names of the different hotels/areas as all we knew was we were staying at "the Wyndham" and not "Sabor". So I may be confusing things, we were told (by a travel agent) there was the standard Wyndham, the "better" Sabor, and then (condos?) residences which had nice amenities that were only available to the people who lived there. To clarify a little, we stayed at the standard Wyndham hotel, no upgrades or extras and found it to quite nice. The wife and I did take notice that the Sabor rooms seemed to be set pretty far back from the beach. We talked to another guest who told us that they were continuing to fix things up during the low season, and had plans to do some work on the pools soon.

OK here is how it goes,
The very south area is Reef Residence--full time owner condos 3 and 4 stories high.

Just to the north of those is Aura, on the beach and most luxurious of the Wyndham property. The wooden pier is right in front.

Behind Aura to the east is Sabor, a bit more upscale than a deluxe room. Ground floor rooms have wade pools off the room patios and small water slides down to the winding river type main pool.

Moving north from Aura is Wyndham resort. The resort has 3 sections of room buildings that are 2 or 3 stories high. Section 1 has about 14 buildings aligned horseshoe shaped around a pool with the opened end of the horseshoe toward the beach. The beach shop is there where you get snorkeling equip, wave runners, etc. Building room numbers will all start with a 1 in this area. (1234)

Moving north is the center of the resort U shaped, with the zero depth pool in the middle, auditorium and main desk toward the street, Buffet area, upscale restaurant, snack bar, and bar by the beach.

North of this is Section 2, has 6 buildings on the beach 2 stories high. Building numbers start with 2. (2720)

Section 3, there are 6 buildings 3 stories high, parallel to section 2 with a large garden area in between. The back of these buildings has the parking lot and the mechanical building. These buildings numbers also start with a 2.

North of the resort hotel is the Reef Regency timeshare condo area. there are 5, 3 story buildings surrounding the owners pool, and 2 single story buildings north of them. Building/room numbers start with a 3. (3612)

Sand Dollar has the dive shop at the very north end of the property. This is where the concrete pier is and where most boat loading takes place.

Divers staying in the hotel Section 2 and 3 will have to walk thru the timeshare area to get to the dive shop. The beach ends at the timeshare building so you can't walk it to the dive shop from the beach. Just follow the signs thru the timeshares.

Divers staying in Section 1, Sabor and Aura should ask to be picked up at the wooden pier.

BTW. Aura, Sabor, Wyndham are adults only now BUT--timeshare still allows kids (contract issue) so you will still see them anywhere in the Wyndham Hotel resort area.

That's a great orientation, and I'm really happy to hear about the timeshare issue. They sold a lot of time shares to families, and it's nice to see that they can't just shut them out from what they bought. Having stayed in the original Reef Club just as it was opening / being completed I now have a good idea of the layout of all the newer buildings.

Are you SURE they weren't AL 100s? Extra gas but not steel. That is what most Coz ops use when people ask for extra gas. I don't think DWM has any steel tanks, although I will stand to be corrected.

DWM used to offer what was called the Cozumel King package that included steel 95s: Cozumel Scuba Diving/ Cozumel Dive Shops/Dive With Martin (this link is from archive.org and no longer appears the DWM.com website)

I'd imagine they still have the steel 95s.....

OK here is how it goes,
The very south area is Reef Residence--full time owner condos 3 and 4 stories high.

Just to the north of those is Aura, on the beach and most luxurious of the Wyndham property. The wooden pier is right in front.

Behind Aura to the east is Sabor, a bit more upscale than a deluxe room. Ground floor rooms have wade pools off the room patios and small water slides down to the winding river type main pool.

Moving north from Aura is Wyndham resort. The resort has 3 sections of room buildings that are 2 or 3 stories high. Section 1 has about 14 buildings aligned horseshoe shaped around a pool with the opened end of the horseshoe toward the beach. The beach shop is there where you get snorkeling equip, wave runners, etc. Building room numbers will all start with a 1 in this area. (1234)

Moving north is the center of the resort U shaped, with the zero depth pool in the middle, auditorium and main desk toward the street, Buffet area, upscale restaurant, snack bar, and bar by the beach.

North of this is Section 2, has 6 buildings on the beach 2 stories high. Building numbers start with 2. (2720)

Section 3, there are 6 buildings 3 stories high, parallel to section 2 with a large garden area in between. The back of these buildings has the parking lot and the mechanical building. These buildings numbers also start with a 2.

North of the resort hotel is the Reef Regency timeshare condo area. there are 5, 3 story buildings surrounding the owners pool, and 2 single story buildings north of them. Building/room numbers start with a 3. (3612)

Sand Dollar has the dive shop at the very north end of the property. This is where the concrete pier is and where most boat loading takes place.

Divers staying in the hotel Section 2 and 3 will have to walk thru the timeshare area to get to the dive shop. The beach ends at the timeshare building so you can't walk it to the dive shop from the beach. Just follow the signs thru the timeshares.

Divers staying in Section 1, Sabor and Aura should ask to be picked up at the wooden pier.

BTW. Aura, Sabor, Wyndham are adults only now BUT--timeshare still allows kids (contract issue) so you will still see them anywhere in the Wyndham Hotel resort area.
A most excellent and comprehensive review. Thank you.

13 days until arrival at the Sabor. Stayed 10 days last Apr and set for another 10. I liked the Sabor because I didn't see any younger adults. So I thought a bit more quiet. I'm diving with DWM like the last time. Pick up at the Wyndham pier is very nice. Close to the reefs. The latest I was back was 11:30 after a morning 2 tank dive. Be advise that Sand Dollar will charge you a $2 a day fee to use their pier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom