Wyndham Aura & DWM review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_Blue

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely a little long, but I wanted to share my thoughts on our recent trip to Cozumel staying at the Wyndham Aura and diving with Dive With Martin. The wife and I had only been to Cozumel once before, in February 2009 for a day as a port of call on a cruise, it was a little chilly the day we were there so we decided that we should go back to experience the island in more detail under more beach appropriate weather. We were looking for an all-inclusive, mostly because we didn't know the island well and so we could have a relaxing vacation with no running around and decision making on the level of, "want another drink?". I'm betting there are a lot of people out there thinking an AI is not the way to get to know the island, and I agree that there are things you miss by staying on the reservation. I can say, however, that we had a great time and that same great time at a dreaded AI has opened the door to what will be return visits and a deeper exploration and appreciation for what has got to be one of the best places in the world! We did some research (and got a LOT of good information right here at SB), and went in realizing that we were booking a reasonably (actually pretty darn cheap, thanks for the discount tip DandyDon) priced package and we shouldn't have dreams of champagne and butler service in a private cabana. Having reasonable expectations allowed us to be pleasantly surprised quite a few times.
The Wyndham: Was overall, very nice. Quick check in. Clean room, AC worked great, hot water every time, fresh bottled water in front of every staircase, they even brought a 5 gal. bottle up to our room so we didn't have to walk down the stairs to refill our bottles. It was explained to us that the Wyndham was set up as Aura (good), Sabor (better), and Reef Club (best). We figured that we could always ask to be upgraded to the Sabor side if we weren't happy with the room or amenities in the Aura area. Can't say I feel the need to pay the extra to stay at Sabor. Granted it was the low season, but it wasn't crowded and the yahoo crew kept the party contained so we never felt like we couldn't relax in peace. I'm not a big drinker but the mojitos were great and the beer was cold and I never had to wait more than a minute at the bar to get one (or a few). World cup matches shown on the big screen in an air conditioned theater, volleyball and horseshoes on the beach, no one hassling you about buying anything. Snack bar was visited more than once. Quick cheeseburgers, nachos, etc. Great fries (and I'm pretty picky). The food at the main restaurant, La Isla, was very good (and the grouper was great!). No, the menu in the restaurant didn't change but neither does my favorite restaurant at home. There was a little variety in the salad bar fixin's each day, and they finally ran out of the strawberry ice cream our 5th day and brought out the chocolate (yay!). And did I mention how good the grouper was? I would have been upset if I couldn't have had that a couple times! Never had a problem getting seated where we wanted, food was always well prepared and quickly brought to the table. The only foods I didn't like were because they're just not my taste, not because they weren't good, and a lot of the things I wasn't sure if I'd like turned out to be fantastic. Tell Miguel at La Isla after dinner, that you hear he makes a wonderful rompope and if you've been good he might make you one too! After seeing the swimming area on the beach, I wasn't expecting much in the way of snorkeling. Again, I was truly surprised. Only a little live coral, but plenty of pieces and places for critters to congregate. Lots of grunts, sergeant majors, and parrot fish. Stingrays everywhere, lobsters under every rock. Trunkfish, trumpetfish, angelfish, chubs, flounders, spotted drums, bluehead wrasse, butterflyfish, even ocean triggerfish, barracuda, a ornery lionfish, and a big octopus in a hole. I spent hours just watching the cleaning station with the lionfish and octopus hanging out on opposite sides of a chunk of coral and everyone else buzzing in for a touchup by the cleaning crew. It's not the reef, but there was plenty to watch and plenty of time to watch it.
Dive With Martin: Great service. Small groups, fast boats, diver's choice sites, dive your computer, no charge for rental gear or steel tanks. Ten minutes (maybe) to the dives and I was back at the pier so fast one day, it took me a minute to realize it was my stop. Dove Palancar Horseshoe (twice), Delila, Columbia Deep, and Paseo Del Cedral (twice). Huge groupers, HUGE angelfish, porcupinefish, toadfish, lionfish, scorpionfish, nurse sharks, spotted morays, oh my! I may try other operators in the future, but I have no problem recommending DWM. I loved (DM) Miguel, he played an integral part in helping me check a few things off my bucket list. I never did get my night dive in. By Wednesday it didn't look like it was going to happen, so I booked another day. I'm not disappointed. Wow. Really, wow. Everyone who's been, knows. Anyone going will see, and anyone who's never been needs to go.
As far as my second date with Cozumel goes, I think I'm being seduced and I really can't wait for our next date.

Last edited:
Welcome to the coz addiction. There is a steady stream of Colorado divers that go there it seems. DWM is my favorite aluminum tank op down there....but you said steel tanks. Are they offering those now?

We will be there in 71 days...
Not that I am counting [:wink:]
Thanks for the review, I am going to make it a point to find that octopus myself.

Yup, Bill, when I checked in at the shop I told them that I might be a little excited about the dives I had scheduled and that I would appreciate the extra breathing room (as it were) that steel tanks would offer. No problems, there were 2 steel tanks waiting for me on the boat each morning. I really appreciated it the first day, as I was still one of the first back on the boat. In fact, I made a note in my log about really drinking down my tanks but not caring that I was out 5 minutes before everyone else because what I was seeing was sooooo freaking awesome!!! I did manage to get control of myself and ended my last 2 dives with the DM and air to spare.

Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and are well on your way to becoming a Cozaholic. One of my missions in life is to convince cruise passengers to return for a land-based vacation and, if you participate on any cruise forums, please help me by posting your story!

Wyndham's house reef is Cardona -- shallow, silty, characterized by worn limestone shelves and sandy areas rather than colorful coral and sponges. It's chock full of critters, is a great snorkel site, and holds at least a few surprises for a diver. Too bad for so many of us that access is limited to hotel guests or a visit by boat.

Hope you come back soon!

Saludos,
Deb

I know that the Wyndham has made changes to all sections (adult only in all of them now) but they were rated in the opposite way you've got them with the Aura being the best section of the property. It has been marketed as a 4 to 5 star (by Mexican standards) resort while the Wyndham (old Reef Club) section got a 3 star rating. Are you sure you got that right?

Something to consider. The Sabor section has no rooms on the beach. The Reef club and standard hotel section do have beach front. I can't remember if the Aura does.

Cicopo u are correct. The aura is the nicest section. We stayed there for a week at Easter. Loved it! We just got a call from some friends who wanted to go to Cozumel, asked where to stay that was nice all inclusive on beach and I recommended it. Well they booked it and asked if we would like to join them. Couldn't pass that up. Good deal on orbitz. Will be back this Thursday.
Diving with onsite op Sand dollar sports.

I believe that Cicopo has it right. Aura is the higher quality and dollar section, with Sabor next, then the wyndham hotel. I have stayed at the hotel, Sabor and are members of the Reef Regency, and according to conversations I have had with management, employees and other guests, Aura is more upscale than any of these Wyndham associated properties on that beach.
I would not view Sabor as an upgrade to Aura. Even considering, as said, that Sabor is not on the beach.

Yeah, sorry, not exactly sure about the names of the different hotels/areas as all we knew was we were staying at "the Wyndham" and not "Sabor". So I may be confusing things, we were told (by a travel agent) there was the standard Wyndham, the "better" Sabor, and then (condos?) residences which had nice amenities that were only available to the people who lived there. To clarify a little, we stayed at the standard Wyndham hotel, no upgrades or extras and found it to quite nice. The wife and I did take notice that the Sabor rooms seemed to be set pretty far back from the beach. We talked to another guest who told us that they were continuing to fix things up during the low season, and had plans to do some work on the pools soon.

Back
Top Bottom