Wyndham and Sand Dollar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all Thanks! to all who responded. I guess I know what direction I will go. I have heard good things about Blue XTsea and Aldora and will investigate them further. Any comments on them?
Again, thanks.

Bill, The reputation of both div ops you mention speak for themselves in the MANY comments made here on the Cozumel Forum. Just search Blue XT Sea Diving or Aldora and you will find out. Selecting one is now really up to you as you are the only one who knows what you want. Get your list of wants and needs together and email the dive ops's directly. Have a Wonderful time! SS

I have not dove with Blue XT Sea, but I hear such good things about them that I will probably consider them next time. Aldora, my last experience with them was not as positive (hidden costs at the end and low air fills - but this has been 4 years ago or so so things may have improved). Dive with Martin is a lower frills ( but still bottled water, good dive guides, fruit, only 6-7 divers per boat) /low price op that offers a great time.

Last edited:
OK, just so I have this right. You are heaping praise on Sand Dollar, slamming the use of the dock for free by other dive ops, and are trying to fill a trip you are running there using Sand dollar in Feb. Just wanted to make sure this was an "unbiased" opinion..... :D

You are heaping praise on Sand Dollar: Absolutely, we've been diving with them for years. They do a great job. That's not to say other operators don't do an excellent job, too. The question on this post, however, related to SD.

Slamming the use of the dock for free by other dive ops: Not slamming, just stating that I believe that SD's fees (for those using their facilities, but not diving with them) are reasonable and justified. I'm tired of reading that some of us think that they are "entitled" to use another's property, without compensation. Just my humble opinion.

Trying to fill a trip you are running there using Sand Dollar in Feb.: Not at all. Our group is entirely private (jpdunc happens to be a member). Our trip info is placed on our website for our members, their families and friends, only.

FYI- Most of our members are familiar with SD, and dive with them often. We continue to dive with them because of the competancy of their Dive Masters, the manner in which they treat their clients, and the great times we've had with them throughout the years.

Am I biased? ABSOLUTELY... and, that's because we've always had an excellent time time with SD.

Jeff
DIVERSIFIED DIVERS SCUBA - Home Page

Nothing wrong with having a preference for a dive op. Just a question of disclosure. OK, I won't even ask if you get a free spot (s) for taking a group (this is industry practice). How many are usually on your boat?

Number on boat (and which boat is used) depends upon how many of our friends decide to go. It's not crowded, as we usually get a boat that easily accomodates more than the number of us travelling.

Last trip there were 11 - 12 of us on a boat that could comfortably accomodate 20 divers + Crew.

We'll have 6-8 divers on our next trip.

Jeff.
DIVERSIFIED DIVERS SCUBA - Home Page

If the group you are going with is a group of fellow divers (I was unclear on whether the rest of the group were divers or non-divers)--I would try to rent a boat with divemaster through one of the dive shops.

While the choice of dive shop clearly still matters, I have found that the more control you have over a boat the more likely you are to have a good dive.

However, reserving a boat does limit the ability of divers in your group to call in hungover and skip dives, since you will pay whether they are there or not.

We just got back from Cozumel and dove with SD. Had a great time. Used the small boat for 6 of us. All with more than just a few dives in. Helpful and friendly. I'd use them again.

When you say a group how many are divers? Most small ops have boats for small groups and if you have enough to fill a boat then obviously it will be under your control as to where & how you dive. Too big a group may dictate a larger op if you want to dive together. I've dove with several ops over the years and Blue XT Sea is one of them, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again, but I also hear many good things about Aldora & need to try them one of these trips, along with Living Underwater & a few others. More good choices than I can afford to try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom