WWI wrecks off Sri Lanka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nishan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
A few of us recently dived 2 wrecks that we feel may be the wrecks of the British armed merchantmen Perseus and Worcestershire that were lost in 1917. Both sank after hitting sea mines laid by the German vessel Wolf during WWI off Colombo, Sri Lanka. The two wrecks are at depths of 40m and 57m. I'm trying to find more information about the ships, especially images in order to do a positive identification. I feel confident that the wreck at 40m is that of the Perseus. I have just got the length and beam of the Perseus off a website so will try to measure the wreck and see if it matches. If anyone has heard about these wrecks or has any information please let me know.

Cheers,

Nishan

Hi again, I'm looking for photographs, illustrations or any information on details of the Perseus and Worcestershire that would assist in identifying them. So fare have not found any images on the net other than a photo of a sister ship of the Perseus which i presume looks similar and somewhat resembles the wreck I dived.

Thanks in advance,

Nishan

Here are some pictures from my last dive on what we believe is the wreck of the Perseus. Should be able to confirm ID soon but from what we have seen it looks a lot like the Perseus. The wreck is broken up and lying on its port side. The stern and bow are have intact sections and the midship area is broken up. The marine life is great! Huge school of snapper, sweetlips, giant trevally, big stingrays and the usual reef critters combined with decent viz makes it a great dive. Actually viz was low, about 15m on this dive. usually its 25m or more.

IMG_0989.jpgIMG_0993.jpgIMG_1003.jpgIMG_1026.jpgIMG_1028.jpg

After some research we are now able to confirm that the 2 wrecks we dived are indeed the SS Perseus and the SS Worcestershire. Both vessels sank in February 1917 after hitting mines laid by the German raider Wolf.

Both are fantastic dives and part of the little known history of WWI naval warfare in the Indian Ocean.

Some info about the Wolf is available here.
SMS Wolf (auxiliary cruiser) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Info on the 2 wrecks available here.
http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?160311
WORCESTERSHIRE PASSENGER/CARGO SHIP 1904-1917

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom