WTB portable scuba compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you had 4500/444s, it would run at max pressure for a LONG time ... slowly eating bearings and bearing surfaces in the process. About 80% of the wear comes in the top 10% of the pressure range so minimizing the time at the highest pressure will greatly extend the life of the compressor.

I would go with the 220 VAC machine with automatic drains.

rcontrera - I have a bank of four 4500/444's and usually top them off to 4600-ish. After reading this, I suppose I should just bank b/t 4000 - 4200. While I have a few HP tanks that I ocassionally fill, I usually fill my LP's (to about 3200).

OP, If you don't plan on taking the compressor on the road, I would go w/ the electric version just for the auto-drain (and it's quieter if you have grumpy neighbors). It's a pain in the butt to have to manually drain the system every 15-20 min or so....

Bauer has stated, verbally, that the Oceanus can be used to fill HC-4500 bottles, but only a max of two without rest period. I have also heard this from them regarding the Capitano/Capitano II. Personally, I can see the latter as they are rated as continuous duty and are low RPM compared to the the higher RPM portables (including the Oceanus) and have pressure lubrication to the final stage.

IMO, high final stage temperatures over extended running periods at the higher pressure ranges, combined with splash lubrication, especially with no temperature shut-off, at the least, will shorten the life of the running gear, piston rings, final piston and cylinder walls.

Modern, small, portable machines, i.e. Bauer Junior II, Oceanus, Coltri MCH 6 (in all it's named versions), Aero-sub etc. run in excess of 1800 RPM, most around 2100. This alone already puts these units at higher operating temps than their continuous duty cousins. Ray is right, using these little guys to fill high pressure storage isn't a good idea.

Craig

Bauer has stated, verbally, that the Oceanus can be used to fill HC-4500 bottles, but only a max of two without rest period.

You meant two 444cf3 bottles at 4500 psi??

Modern, small, portable machines, i.e. Bauer Junior II, Oceanus, Coltri MCH 6 (in all it's named versions), Aero-sub etc. run in excess of 1800 RPM, most around 2100. This alone already puts these units at higher operating temps than their continuous duty cousins. Ray is right, using these little guys to fill high pressure storage isn't a good idea.

Craig

1800~2100 psi is lower than what I was told (max. 3000 psi). It is also a controveral issue to define the max. pressure?

You meant two 444cf3 bottles at 4500 psi??

1800~2100 psi is lower than what I was told (max. 3000 psi). It is also a controveral issue to define the max. pressure?

Yes, 444 cuft @ 4500.

The max RPM would be as defined by the OEM. OEM's generally define the max operating pressure for their machines. Most modern, small compressors are rated to a maximum of 5000 psi. Granted this is with the stipulation of "intermittent duty", which I believe is where the controversy actually lies.

Craig

Yes, 444 cuft @ 4500.

The max RPM would be as defined by the OEM. OEM's generally define the max operating pressure for their machines. Most modern, small compressors are rated to a maximum of 5000 psi. Granted this is with the stipulation of "intermittent duty", which I believe is where the controversy actually lies.

Craig

Yes, you are right, "intermitten duty" I picked up a wrong word (max).

I think LP tank is only suitable one that meets this criteria for a portable compressor.

The way the Coltri family interprets the usage (continuous or intermittent) is as follows (numbers aren't real for sake of easy math):

If you have a single 400 cubic foot cylinder and ten 40 cubic foot cylinders, you have the same amount of air if pumped to the same pressure. With the little compressors, it is no problem to fill the ten cylinders one right after the other since the pressure on the machine drops between cylinders and gives the bearing surfaces and final stages a chance to cool slightly between cylinders.

With the single 400, though, while it will run the same amount of time, it will suffer more wear and tear because it will spend an extended amount of time at the highest pressure.

This is true if you are pumping 3000 (SCUBA) or 4500 psi (SCBA). The little guys need to cycle to last.

Now, all that said, I do have a couple of dive shops and paint ball fields that have used the little guys satisfactorily with cascade bottles. Of course, I expect they will be calling me sooner than later for repairs and/or parts.

All, I have converted Miitary Kidde compressor for over 40years and have no problem with them. I have sold over 400 units during that time frame to dive shops, fire departments, paint ball, and air gunners. In my dive shop I had a pair of new surplus 4.2 compressors that ran the pressure range from 3200 to 4500PSI for over four years and almost 2300 hours before they were worn to the point that they could only pump 3900psi. I still make them today and get excellant service in paint ball fields and dive shops that run them 3-4 hours at a time in the 3500 to 4500PSI range.
See my web site < sheldensportinggoods.com >
frogman 62

I have this compressor for sale. It's electric(220V SP) but could be switched to gas easily. Mako 4.3cfm at 3200psi(it will pump to higher psi). Ready to go with fill whip(either DIN or yoke) new filter. $3000.00 picked up. The compressor pump is a Bauer K14.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 126
I bought a Nardi Petrol 3 years ago and haven't had any problems, runs nice. 25 min a fill

Back
Top Bottom