WTB portable scuba compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a gas Bauer Oceanus . The Bauer Jr. is not rated for continuous use so I had to opt for the next highest model to fill my air banks. The "pros" of the Oceanus are that it is rated 5CFM and up to 5000PSI which is handy if you are banking air w/ HP bottles. Also, it officially lists a min of "Grade E" but after about 15 hours on the first filter, I had the air tested at Lawrence Factor and got back OCA! Nice - thank goodness I didn't spring for the hyperfilter!

The biggest "con" is the price (over $5G new). Also, I'm somewhat dissappointed in the unit b/c thus far, the belt has disintegrated twice and the built-in Bauer-made check valve (which is brass or aluminum) just plain broke - ALL WITHIN THE FIRST 20 HOURS!! I thought I was buying the best?:confused:

cbmech2, good luck doing your research. I was a newb a while back and found that the folks on this sub-forum were a great help (in addition to tons of web research). Of course, Oxyhacker is a must first read (and second after you get a clue).

Cheers

I picked up a Max-Air 35 for $450 on Craigslist.

HINT- Search "Paint Ball" instead of SCUBA

Mine was used by a paintballer. Only needed fill whip and filter cartridge.

Thanks for the info Vince. As you said it overkill for what I am trying to do. All I want is something that will supply my reg test bench, supply air for drying reg parts and perhaps fill my own bottles with.

no sticker shock here just have to wait till the tax money comes back...... and still looking around... Would like a bauer diesel model so if anyone has a line on one let me know

Sarge, I am not certain that I will be banking air at least for a volume needed to fill multiple tanks at once. I also doubt that I would need a compressor rated for continuous use. The compressor would however, have to keep the 2 tanks I would consider the number for my bank at 3000 psi. I did take a look at the book excerpts but, still do not know if it will cover what I am trying to do. I know that it must be good because I recently bought the regulator repair one and it is excellent. Thanks for the tip. Anyone have any comments about Coltri compressors from Nuvair?

Alan,

I know you had sticker shock from the compressor prices on my web site but if you will look at other models and and compare price and delivered air volume and quality -- I am very competitive. That said - I am building a small unit currently that will deliver 2.0 cfm up to 4500psi (in fact I had it running last evening on the test bench and shut it off at 5800psi)
This unit with a small storage system which I also show on my web sit will sell for less than $1800 and includes a fill whip for scuba. Picture are shown on yahoo site Compressor_Team under Jim shelden 2.0 compressor conversion. This is a kidde compressor (surplus, that has 27. hours total run time) and I have mounted a 2 hp electric motor which will run with 115 vt house current. Pictures are not on my web site yet, as I have not completed the filter system or belt guards for safety.
Frogman62
Jim Shelden
316-992-0505

I believe I was the one with sticker shock. Not to say that you are not competetive because I have done a little homework. My sticker shock came from my experience with standard air compressors similar to those used for running air tools in my garage but, I realized after reading one of the other posts that it is HP air I am dealing with. I have a friend that is a shop owner and has the test bench that I want to build, but he has a huge cascade system that can fill 10 tanks, supply air to the test bench and provide drying air all at the same time. I definitely do not need that capacity but, want to ensure that the system I do put together will keep a constant 3000 psi available to the test bench and provide air for parts drying at the same time. I will not be filling a tank simultaneously.

cbmech2, I have a Coultri MCH6 that I have used alot. I have even filled 10 tanks in one evening with it, and no problems. It has a Honda 5 hp gas. The only problem was with the kill switch on the engine. Bought mine $2880 delivered to my door from NorthShore Compressors out of MN. They stock all filters and other needs, very good to work with.

Sarge, I am not certain that I will be banking air at least for a volume needed to fill multiple tanks at once. I also doubt that I would need a compressor rated for continuous use. The compressor would however, have to keep the 2 tanks I would consider the number for my bank at 3000 psi. I did take a look at the book excerpts but, still do not know if it will cover what I am trying to do. I know that it must be good because I recently bought the regulator repair one and it is excellent. Thanks for the tip. Anyone have any comments about Coltri compressors from Nuvair?

The small MCH-6 compressor is a great little machine. However, in order to make them light weight and low cost, they have a light crank and bearing set that isn't designed for continuous run. It will fill cylinders all day long as long as it is one tank at a time so that there is a "rest" period between the high pressure cycles. Filling banks requires long periods at the highest pressures and that translates to shortened life.

Ray,
I have heard nothing but good things about the Coltri and am going to check one out this coming Friday at Nuvair down the street from me. The only thing that concerns me is your comment about continuous run. In my previous posts I was attempting to communicate what my application was, although I don't know if I am being clear or if I am missing something. I am going to set up a regulator test bench with a couple of HP100 Steel Tanks acting as air storage. I want a constant 3000 psi available for the test bench, a limited demand for LP air (no more than 90 psi) for drying regulator parts and to be able to fill my scuba tanks (one at a time). I wouldn't think that in this scenario, I would require a continuous run compressor or would I? In your opinion would the MCH6 fit the bill or should I be looking for something else? I also took a look at your website (compressorstuff.com) and noticed that you offer financing. Do you only offer that to dealers? If financing is available to average folk like me, what are the terms (interest rate, financing term, etc)? If you could shoot me an e-mail with your pricing lists and finance program details, I would greatly appreciate it. My email is cbmech2@roadrunner.com. Thanks.

Ah ... OK. I missed the 100s. You should have no problem since it would only run 10 or so minutes at max pressure. If you had 4500/444s, it would run at max pressure for a LONG time ... slowly eating bearings and bearing surfaces in the process. About 80% of the wear comes in the top 10% of the pressure range so minimizing the time at the highest pressure will greatly extend the life of the compressor.

I would go with the 220 VAC machine with automatic drains. When you call Nuvair, ask for Mitch and let him know that I sent you and he will get you fixed up right. They are a great company. They buy more Coltri compressors than any other distributor in the world.

As far as my financing program, with our new banking bailout programs going on, the financing companies that I use are almost impossible to deal with anymore. You are better off using your credit card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom