Write times for CF cards updated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitten Diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have been trying to research memory media for my 5050, does anyone know if any of the new larger CF cards have been tested for write times yet? I have seen some research done but most stop at 512 and I was thinking I wanted a 1Gig card. I just want to make the right investment, especially since these cards seem to be available for some pretty decent prices.

I am not quite clear on these yet but it appears that a CF rather than a CF I
or a CF II card since the CF card has no moving parts.

Mitten Diver

Mitten Diver:
I have been trying to research memory media for my 5050, does anyone know if any of the new larger CF cards have been tested for write times yet? I have seen some research done but most stop at 512 and I was thinking I wanted a 1Gig card. I just want to make the right investment, especially since these cards seem to be available for some pretty decent prices.

I am not quite clear on these yet but it appears that a CF rather than a CF I
or a CF II card since the CF card has no moving parts.

Mitten Diver

There's no only CF format; Cards are in CF I or CF II factory form. The only difference is in thickness: CompactFlash Type I (CFI) cards are 3.3mm thick, CompactFlash Type II (CFII) cards are 5.0mm thick. C5050Z can handle both.

If you think about IBM Microdrive, avoid it. It's slower then CF cards and probably less reliable (because of its moving parts - it's a hard disk).

My recommendation is: go for 1GB card, Oly is compatible with most cards on the market (check before buy) and avoid cheap cards - difference between cheap and expensive is max $30. I have Ritek Ridata 1GB and it's very reliable and fast.

Mitten Diver:
I have been trying to research memory media for my 5050, does anyone know if any of the new larger CF cards have been tested for write times yet? I have seen some research done but most stop at 512 and I was thinking I wanted a 1Gig card.
This site has the latest database tested with DSLRs. As you will see R/W speed depends on the card and the camera:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

While I haven't done any technical tests, I just bought a Lexar 40x 1 Gig card, and I'm completely satisfied with it's performance in my 5050.

stephen by speed do you mean KB per seconds or inrelation to __X speed?

Tooth

on average the C5050 has some of the fastest write speeds of any camera on the market, except for DSLRs. with ridata cards i have never had to wait on the buffer to unload because of the ridata card, the sandisk on the other hand i had to wait to long to get it to do anything (5+ seconds for a lg jpg, compared to the 2 for ridata card) with the ridata cards its not a issue on the cards speed but how fast the camera can unload the images, (something i will have to test later in the spring)

in tests done by phil askey the owner of dpreview.com Ritek seems to be the fastest based off his tests, using a firewire reader to do write/read test, on the other link there only using DSLRs so you cant compare them to consumer cams , but it you stick with Lexar cards or Ritek you will do very well.

link to comparison and test
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/

Tooth

When it comes to compact flash cards lexar’s pro line are worth their weight in gold. The cost is almost that as well. For a 32x or faster 1 GB, your looking at around $250. Well worth it. Their failure rate is very low. In case of a file corruption problem they offer software for recovery. If you don’t want to do it yourself, you can send the card back to lexar and get a replacement in a few days. They have excellent customer service. I been a professional photographer for 15 years ( digital 5 years) and they are the professional standard for cf cards.

Thanks I stumbled over the RiData 512 MB here today. Will consider those for my upcomming camera purchase.
The Lexar doesnt seem to be available here in Korea.

Cheers

Stephen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom