Wrist or console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so perhaps a wireless AI with digital compass on wrist mount, with a backup small analog SPG gauge on the other HP port is the best of both worlds.
Adam

What about your backup compass and backup depth gauge ? The problem with these hoseless
transmitter type systems is you lose a whole lot of information should the computer go out
while diving. You almost end up with more gear as backup than if you stayed with your more
standard configuration.

I dive with an Air Integrated computer on my wrist/forearm, with a complete console (backup computer, SPG, depth, bottom timer - all before I got AI) clipped to my D-ring as a backup. I will glance at my backup computer while in deco / safety stop to see if the numbers agree (my old comp is air only - so I will not do this with other mixes). I do this about once a dive, and I do not find it difficult to unclip the console and read it. However, I really like the convenience of having all required information on the wrist/forearm, and I doubt I will ever go back to a console-only computer. As a side-note, my computer has wrist straps, the straps can be removed and placed in a console. This way you can try different styles and pick the one you like best.

Wrist is much easier for me :wink:

What about your backup compass and backup depth gauge ? The problem with these hoseless
transmitter type systems is you lose a whole lot of information should the computer go out
while diving. You almost end up with more gear as backup than if you stayed with your more
standard configuration.

How is this any different than any gear failure during any dive? If gear fails, the dive is over, whether it is a broken fin strap, or whatever. If you are diving no deco, any failure means dive over, go to safety stop, then surface. Carrying backup analog gauges does not change that.

Dive computers will not let you start a dive they cannot complete, battery wise.

(also, backup compass?)

Last edited:
I have a a dive computer thats in a console and if I want it on a wrist mount I just pop it out and put it into a wrist boot. For backmount dives I ware it as a console but If I am Sidemounting I go with a wrist mount as my pressure gauges are on 6" hoses.

Not all computers are puck stlye that can be moved from a console to a wrist boot. I have an Aeris XR-1

How is this any different than any gear failure during any dive? If gear fails, the dive is over, whether it is a broken fin strap, or whatever. If you are diving no deco, any failure means dive over, go to safety stop, then surface. Carrying backup analog gauges does not change that. Dive computers will not let you start a dive they cannot complete, battery wise. (also, backup compass?)

If I had an electronic compass on a dive that required navigation back to shore in bad weather conditions or at
depth I would certainly have a backup standard compass. Yes, the dive is over when equipment fails, the difference
is the remaining information you have to end the dive. Having a computer fail during a dive does happen, it may not
be the battery but at that point what caused it is not the issue. When a hoseless transmitter type computer with electronic
compass fails you lose compass, tank pressure reading, and depth reading. The difference is the amount of information you are
depending on from a single unit.

If I had an electronic compass on a dive that required navigation back to shore in bad weather conditions or at
depth I would certainly have a backup standard compass. Yes, the dive is over when equipment fails, the difference
is the remaining information you have to end the dive. Having a computer fail during a dive does happen, it may not
be the battery but at that point what caused it is not the issue. When a hoseless transmitter type computer with electronic
compass fails you lose compass, tank pressure reading, and depth reading. The difference is the amount of information you are
depending on from a single unit.

Scenario:
You have individual instruments, (SPG, Depth, watch/timer, computer, compass) and you are at depth when you determine that one of these has fail.

Question:
Which instrument would you be willing to lose and continue the dive?

For me, the answer is none. A lot of my dives are shore dives, so I could probably get by without a compass, but generally speaking, if my instruments quit, I end the dive and surface in the most cautious way I can depending on which instrument has failed. So if my all-in-one computer fails, at depth, I still end the dive and surface with my buddy to monitor ascent rate. Redundancy can help with some things (back up spg for AI computer) or full set of analog gauges as backup? Naw, most computers are reliable enough these days and I've never done a dive that I wasn't willing to end for safety sake.

Last edited:
Scenario:
You have individual instruments, (SPG, Depth, watch/timer, computer, compass) and you are at depth when you determine that one of these has fail.

Question:
Which instrument would you be filling to lose and continue the dive?

For me, the answer is none. A lot of my dives are shore dives, so I could probably get by without a compass, but generally speaking, if my instruments quit, I end the dive and surface in the most cautious way I can depending on which instrument has failed. So if my all-in-one computer fails, at depth, I still end the dive and surface with my buddy to monitor ascent rate. Redundancy can help with some things (back up spg for AI computer) or full set of analog gauges as backup? Naw, most computers are reliable enough these days and I've never done a dive that I wasn't willing to end for safety sake.

I don't agree that the dive is over just because of a failure. It all depends.

If your AI wireless computer fails to display the tank pressure and you have an analog SPG there's no need to end the dive, after all most people just dive with an analog SPG. Or if you dive with two computers, as I do, and one fails also there's no need to end the dive. I also shore dive and if my compass failed I'd end the dive as I get very disoriented in the poor vis here in So. Cal. So if I get an electronic compass I'll probably keep my current analog as a backup.

I recall in his book, Sheck Exley wrote that he dives with four lights, while the recommended min number is three, so if one fails he can continue to complete his cave dive. If two fail that's less than his minimum and he calls the dive. That's the whole idea of redundancy. You have to decide what's your minimum and decide if you can continue or not.

Adam

We are remembering however that the OP was asking which ONE to get: wrist mounted OR console, not how to do a cave dive.

Forum name: Basic Scuba Discussions

Wrist - I wear my primary Oceanic Veo 250 on my right wrist and my backup Suunto Vytec (not air integrated) on my left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom