Question Wrist Mounted SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted Judah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know the tech crowd likes to mount SPGs on the hip D ring. But, what if the hose ran down your left arm and the SPG was bungie-strapped on your wrist where it is always visible? I don't think it would pose any more entanglement hazard than a hip-routed SPG. Tell me, what are the downsides I am missing?

You could do it, but I would be concerned about entanglement.

I wear mine on my right shoulder strap because I am a firefighter and have a strong muscle memory that is where I go to check the air in my SCBA. Rather than re-invent the wheel and try to learn new habits, I set up my gear with my console computer there and so it is just habit to check it every few minutes. It is secured to the strap in such a way that the hose is not exposed and the computer can be viewed, but will not move anywhere.

If you want the SPG to be more visible, just clip it to your left chest D ring. That’s what I did when I was single tank without AI. Worked quite well. Some folks will have a conniption fit at the suggestion, but do what works for you. And you don’t have to spend money on a new computer if you don’t want to.

I tried the wrist-mount SPG about 45 years ago. Seems like yesterday. :cool: Had to figure out a way to route the hose down my arm so it wouldn't flop up and hit my head. Ended up sewing/gluing a short piece of neoprene with a twist locks on the outside shoulder of my wetsuit, on the elbow and on my wrist. Each little strap went over the hose to keep it in place. I used that fantastic set-up on exactly one dive and abandoned the whole project because I didn't like the restriction on my arm. I then went and tied the SPG hose to my BC inflator hose on my ScubaPro Stabilizing Jacket so my AIR II and SPG were both accessible and located at the same place. That was awkward too so I abandoned that configuration. I then got rid of my SPG all-together and dove a couple of years with just a J-valve and watch. Charter boat divemasters started yelling at me so I went to a huge yellow console with SPG, analog depth guage and compass. When reliable dive computers became a thing and air integration was a thing, I went hoseless. Finally had tank pressure on my wrist!

I know the tech crowd likes to mount SPGs on the hip D ring. But, what if the hose ran down your left arm and the SPG was bungie-strapped on your wrist where it is always visible? I don't think it would pose any more entanglement hazard than a hip-routed SPG. Tell me, what are the downsides I am missing?
Arm restriction is the answer. HP hoses are pretty hard when pressurized. Also you move your arms more often than you looks at your SPG. Additional movements cause HP hose wearout. IMHO - impractical.

Hello,
You mount a retractor on the Left shoulder somewhere (keep it tight though) and pull the gauge out when you need to. I put a brass clip on the pressure gauge and clip it to the retractor (My rentals are rigged the same way).

as long as you are comfortable and there's minimum entanglement risk if you are doing tight space diving (wreck, cave..etc.). For a period of time, I route an AI, hosed dive computer under my armpit and then along my left arm to tight on the back of my hand, and I loved it. I used it just like an expensive wrist AI wireless computer, and I like the compass view much better in that way as well. :)

Hello,
You mount a retractor on the Left shoulder somewhere (keep it tight though) and pull the gauge out when you need to. I put a brass clip on the pressure gauge and clip it to the retractor
Just saw this old post since the thread was bumped by a recent post. I gotta say- there are two types of divers who use retractors: Those who have lost gear and those who are going to lose gear.

I had my backup computer on a retractor on my left D-Ring. As I pulled myself along the tag line towards the downline of the wreck somehow the retractor line broke- the diver behind me saw my computer drop into the depths to be lost forever or until another diver might find it but it would be at least 100' off of the wreck of the USCG Bibb in Islamorada in sand.

The only thing I recommend a retractor for is to keep the BCD corrugated hose and/or the gauges snug to the diver and for anything that resides primarily inside a pocket, or for gear that you're ok with losing and you just really want the convenience of it being on a retractor.

Otherwise you're asking for trouble.

Back
Top Bottom