Wrist mounted exhuast valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GetNarc'd

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm just wondering if this is/is not DIR and who has theirs in this position? It would seem to make ventilation more easily available when the valve is in the open position. ???

Are you referring to a dry suit cuff dump ?

According to George Irvine, it's a huge NOT DIR. It makes venting while in a tight restriction such as a cave or wreck nearly impossible. The DIR position is close to your shoulder. That way you can dump by simply shrugging your shoulders.

Are you referring to a dry suit cuff dump ?

Yes.

According to George Irvine, it's a huge NOT DIR. It makes venting while in a tight restriction such as a cave or wreck nearly impossible. The DIR position is close to your shoulder. That way you can dump by simply shrugging your shoulders.

Thank you. That answers my question.

I'm no DIR cavemonkey, but even in my rec diving it's obvious that my shoulder is usually more elevated than my wrist. Even my hand with the light is held lower than the shoulder... I don't fly around like Superman. Extending an arm out and up would be more effort than the chickenwing maneuver.

This is the kind of posture I try for. (though this guy seems to be in a wetsuit.)
http://www.submersus.com/Portals/0/Fotos/FotosStaff/DomingosCruz.BMP

The Imam AG sez:
Best of course is while riding a scooter or decoing or diving in a horizontal position. Simply reach your arm back (like you were dumping the BCD) and straighten your arm higher than your butt, and the wrist dump will dump. In fact normally when ascending and having to dump the BCD from the rear dump you can simultaneously dump the wrist dump (drysuit).
(Full context here)

I've also seen this quote. But then again, not all dumps are in the same place if you look at the WKPP pics. Some are on the left shoulder and some on the right. Also, some are closer to the shoulder and some are closer (or just above) the elbow. I've also never been able to vent by just "shrugging" my shoulder no matter how I've tried. Personally, I just went to a cuff-dump and find it works just fine.

With a shoulder dump I never have to manually push to dump. Usually it dumps by itself. Also I can tilt to the right a little then flex my bicep while pulling my arm into my body to dump.

Ive never tried a wrist dump so I have no experince with it.

I've also seen this quote. But then again, not all dumps are in the same place if you look at the WKPP pics. Some are on the left shoulder and some on the right. Also, some are closer to the shoulder and some are closer (or just above) the elbow. I've also never been able to vent by just "shrugging" my shoulder no matter how I've tried. Personally, I just went to a cuff-dump and find it works just fine.
I bought one of AG's old drysuits. My buddies always get a kick out of the contortions I had to go through to vent from the wrist dump. My friend Jeff says I look like I'm giving the Right On sign. I prefer the shoulder dump, as it pretty much takes care of itself.

I have dived with both, and I vastly prefer the normal dump position on the outside of the upper arm. I can dump by shrugging or rolling slightly to the right, or, if I get things just perfectly positioned, the suit will simply dump itself as I ascend. The cuff dump was a PITA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom