Wrist mounted exhuast valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought one of AG's old drysuits. My buddies always get a kick out of the contortions I had to go through to vent from the wrist dump. My friend Jeff says I look like I'm giving the Right On sign. I prefer the shoulder dump, as it pretty much takes care of itself.

I haven't had an issue with the wrist dump myself. However, I've never had an issue with the shoulder dump either. Well, just once but I'll let Mo2vation tell that one. :wink: The reason I switched was because I had several friends try it and say they really liked it so I figured I'd give it a shot.

The question for those using wrist dump: Do you have problem with unwanted dumping when reaching valves or removing deco/stage reg from mouth when stowing?

I've also seen this quote. But then again, not all dumps are in the same place if you look at the WKPP pics. Some are on the left shoulder and some on the right. Also, some are closer to the shoulder and some are closer (or just above) the elbow. I've also never been able to vent by just "shrugging" my shoulder no matter how I've tried. Personally, I just went to a cuff-dump and find it works just fine.

Yea, I believe there was a time when they were playing with various positions including right-shoulder, etc. I believe they went back to left shoulder as their standard.

I don't think they have a strict position on placement, but I could be wrong. I think some people have problems with shoulder dumps for some reason and they think that a wrist dump will fix it. At this point, this is trying to fix a skill issue with equipment changes which is not DIR. I think that would be the only real opposition to it.

Me? I've been known to want an ankle dump on occasion :D

Chris

I've also seen this quote. But then again, not all dumps are in the same place if you look at the WKPP pics. Some are on the left shoulder and some on the right. Also, some are closer to the shoulder and some are closer (or just above) the elbow. I've also never been able to vent by just "shrugging" my shoulder no matter how I've tried. Personally, I just went to a cuff-dump and find it works just fine.

Right dumps were an attempt to make it easier to dump gas when scootering and to reach up and manually purge gas without getting off the trigger. It does help slightly once you get used to it. The problem is that off the shelf suits don't come that way. Any many, like me, have dumps on the left and the right of different suits depending on what was in vogue at the time the particular suit was purchased. That is the "bigger" issue - getting used to it being in one place. I don't think anyone bothers with right dumps any more. Left makes more sense when swimming since that is where the BC inflator is anyway and right makes slightly more sense when scootering but not enough to justify it.

The question for those using wrist dump: Do you have problem with unwanted dumping when reaching valves or removing deco/stage reg from mouth when stowing?

I don't use a cuff dump, but I have a regular dive buddy who does. It's installed in his left wrist. On countless number of occasions, I've personally observed him perform valve drills. With few exception, his cuff dump always seems to vent some air when he reaches back for his left post. He seems to be able to deal with OK most of the time. YMMV.

I've had not problems with accidental dumping from the cuff dump. I normally don't put much air in the suit anyway, so there isn't much to reach the dump. If there is, it goes into my dry glove and makes my fingers all warm. :)

I prefer my cuff dump. I can dump the wing and suit at the same time on ascent or I can just hold my left arm out and slightly up and it dumps. I have found the cuff dump works better for me, but I can still vent with the shoulder dump if I wanted to.

Duane

I've used both and didn't feel either was a problem. The shoulder dump is certainly easier for me. As someone said if you leave it all the way open then it pretty much takes care of itself or at most you just have to roll shoulder up a little. That said, I kind of dig the cuff dump. I like to see the bubbles come out when I lift my arm, gives me a better feeling of how much gas is coming out. I'm not sure if gas is vented from the drysuit when I rear dump the wing, but next time I'm diving with non-insta buddy in that suit I'll ask them to check it out.

My cuff dump is adjustable so I keep it all the way down during most of the dive to avoid inadvertent dumping when reaching for valves and such. On ascent I open it all the way up.

I suppose if I had a valve emergency on ascent it would probably vent some gas, though the amount should be minimal as my cuff dump is on the inside of my forearm and therefore facing down when I reach back to touch the left post. Also, if I had time I'd close it before reaching for the left valve. But I've only used that drysuit with my single rig so I cannot say for certain.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom