Wrist Mounted Compaass buying tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mheaster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What is most popular/common brands of Wrist Mounted compass?

I know that George Irvine always states a SUNNTO reverse bezel compass worn on LEFT hand . . . . How woud a SUUNTO SK7 play into this? Good/Bad choice? Typical price? $89 ?

If I were purchasing a new compass, what is correct one? My current Compass is console mounted and I am slowly converting over to a Hogarthian Config with intent to take DIR Fundies in late summer or possibly next year. I just made first dozen dives last week at Ginnie Springs/Devil's Den/Blue Grotto with my new Halcyon BP/Wings ! I LOVED the Streamlinedness and comfort! I am sold and am beginning to swallow the purple kool-aid I think!

SK-7 in Tobin's boot is the way to go.

Yup... Suunto SK-7 with the aftermarket bungie boot made by Tobin at Deep Sea Supply.

mheaster:
What is most popular/common brands of Wrist Mounted compass? . . . . How woud a SUUNTO SK7 play into this?
I've been using the SK-5 for many years and have been very pleased with it. It's small and unobtrusive, but still easy to read. It's an indirect reading needle compass, which takes a little getting used to if you are more familiar with the large bezel compasses that most divers carry. The SK-6 is similar but has a rotating card rather than a needle.

I personally don't care for big compasses like the SK-7 - they are too clunky for my tastes. A lot of divers use them because the oversized bezel makes them a little easier to navigate with, especially for people who don't have a lot of practice at it. Of course the way to solve that problem is to dive more! :wink:

Seriously though, you probably want something a little smaller than the SK-7. And of course - whatever you buy, it definitely should be worn on the left wrist.

sk7 is not only very nice to wear in the dss bungie boot but is also very easy to read at not so perfectly flat orientation. Had an uwatec wrist compass threw it away because if it was not held pretty much perfectly flat it would get stuck and give false readings.
Now its sk7 only!

MSilvia:
Yeah, SK-7 give you readability with up to a 30 degree tilt. Try that with your cheap-o.
I don't seem to have much trouble holding my compass in the proper orientation, plus I prefer to save my money for diving. So the "cheapo" SK-5 works fine for me. :wink:

SK-7 is the hands down winner . May as well be a requirement

DIR-Atlanta:
I don't seem to have much trouble holding my compass in the proper orientation, plus I prefer to save my money for diving. So the "cheapo" SK-5 works fine for me. :wink:

Yeah, but a cave only has two directions ,"In" and "Out", right ? :)

I find the Sk-7 in Tobins boot to work pretty well for me. I had the SK-5 (I think) and had pkenty or worrying times when after ten mins or so following a bearing, I'd tap the compass or move my arm, only to watch in dismay as the needle span to a completely different bearing -- then having absolutely no idea where i was. The Sk7 seems not to have that problem! (Thus any problems finding the boat are my own from now on!)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom