Wrist mount Dive Light by Zen Diving, Inc. The "Froglamp"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solution in search of a problem, and wrong type of light for me.

If you could slightly change the mold to make this in to a mount on the hand, it would be better IMO. The material you make this out of would make a very comfortable soft handle.

Looks pretty slick but I use my light while lobstering in Massachusetts waters and I am afraid it would get in the way while plunging my arm into a bug hole.

I have sold these to quite a few lobster hunters and they love it.

---------- Post added February 28th, 2013 at 11:43 AM ----------

I see two issuess. One, arm mounted, you have to turn the entire fore arm to point the light. Imagine you have to light up gauges mounted on the other hand or even a console. Wrist/goodman style mounted is more flexible. Two, I can no long put any wrist mounted devices, such as computer or compass with this.

Well you can point the light from any angle your arm is in... You don't have to turn your arm over, just point it- its fairly easy. How many wrist mounted devices do you need??? Computer, Watch right arm - light on your left or vise-versa.

---------- Post added February 28th, 2013 at 11:48 AM ----------

You know I have heard all the same remarks before... Drives me crazy... Because every time I get someone to actually use it, they tend say wow thats makes more sense now that I have used it... How do you fix misconceived perception. Should I shoot a video underwater day/night bug hunting with this? For those who say they don't like it would that possibly change your mind?

I am actually interested in trying it. I would love to see how it works on a surgery dive for note taking. Currently a helmet or mask mounted light is what is used. I don't really always like wearing a helmet. Have you ever tried writing in the dark with it on your arm? Would it light up wetnotes, or throw too many shadows? A smaller version of this with a small single AAA low lumen light might be just the ticket for me.

I agree with you that it would have to be something tried before I could make an accurate assessment.

---------- Post added February 28th, 2013 at 12:05 PM ----------

A video of it in use would probably help though.

I am actually interested in trying it. I would love to see how it works on a surgery dive for note taking. Currently a helmet or mask mounted light is what is used. I don't really always like wearing a helmet. Have you ever tried writing in the dark with it on your arm? Would it light up wetnotes, or throw too many shadows? A smaller version of this with a small single AAA low lumen light might be just the ticket for me.

I agree with you that it would have to be something tried before I could make an accurate assessment.

---------- Post added February 28th, 2013 at 12:05 PM ----------

A video of it in use would probably help though.

I have used it to write with, as long as its on the arm holding the pad in your hand like a clipboard its great. If that makes sense... If its on the arm you write with then it tend's to throw shadows or miss the clip board entirely... Its at a 12-15degree angle so the light doesn't hit the back of your hand.

You know I have heard all the same remarks before... Drives me crazy... Because every time I get someone to actually use it, they tend say wow thats makes more sense now that I have used it... How do you fix misconceived perception. Should I shoot a video underwater day/night bug hunting with this? For those who say they don't like it would that possibly change your mind?

Seriously? You are the one selling it.... tell us or show us why it is superior to what we currently have/use. I'm always up for learning something..... you need to teach me what are the shortcomings of my equipment, and how what you have is superior.... Just putting up a picture isn't achieving it....

Seriously? You are the one selling it.... tell us or show us why it is superior to what we currently have/use. I'm always up for learning something..... you need to teach me what are the shortcomings of my equipment, and how what you have is superior.... Just putting up a picture isn't achieving it....

Yes seriously... Superior??? Its an option... No one is asking you to give up your light... This is designed to be a back-up light at night. Or primary for certain situations. Much like it was already- light was made by Ikelite... I just gave it an application, the forearm mount. There are not many truly handsfree light options. This is one of them. I suppose one could make the argument- UK made a handsfree light for the mask, which blinds your buddy / this is handsfree and doesn't unless you want it to... I can't stand those UK lights (when attached to a mask), yet plenty of people buy them and wear them on their heads. Is this superior to the UK light, IMO by far... At 2-3x the price though so its not really a fair comparison to either. The light is a better light, the location IMO better on the arm vs head. (depending on the application). I sell these locally mostly. I hand them out on the dive boats when I go and usually sell a few. I just thought I show them here to see If I get a response. Well, I guess I did...

I have used it to write with, as long as its on the arm holding the pad in your hand like a clipboard its great. If that makes sense... If its on the arm you write with then it tend's to throw shadows or miss the clip board entirely... Its at a 12-15degree angle so the light doesn't hit the back of your hand.

Thanks. Sounds like it might work.

I have sold these to quite a few lobster hunters and they love it.

I dont doubt it, are these the guys that got to try them first before the shelled out the cash for them?
" I hand them out on the dive boats when I go and usually sell a few"

I dont doubt it, are these the guys that got to try them first before the shelled out the cash for them?
" I hand them out on the dive boats when I go and usually sell a few"

Yes, unfortunately I cant mail sample's...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom