Wrist/ankle zips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zept

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to get the local wetsuit man to make me a 5mm wetsuit (no other option in Singapore, I can't find anything thicker than 3mm in the shops).

The question is, do I need zips at the wrists and ankles? I figure I might be able to do without at the wrists, since I have skinny and flexible hands, but I am less sure about the ankles. Plus I have no experience of anything thicker than a 3/2mm suit.

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Zept

If you're getting the suit made, you might want to get some velcro tabs installed that you can close after the zipper is zipped shut, to keep the zipper from opening. I have a persistant problem where an ankle zipper comes unzipped every dive, due to the flex in my leg from finning. It lets cold water in - a concern in 54 F degree water!

I've seen wrist zippers, but IMO they are pointless. You can push your hand straight through in line with your arm, it's harder to bend your ankle into a straight line :)

I see 7mm suits around here without zippers... but I can see how they would really make life easier!

I agree that you don't need them on the wrist but ankles would be nice... and take Ben's advice ~ velcro zipper keeper shutter!

I added one with some neoprene cement and a few stiches to the neck of my hood... the zipper in back would never stay closed until I did.

Zept, I have a one piece custom suit with a hooded jacket, and after taking my measurements himself, the manufacturer advised me to do both. I did the ankle zippers, but not the wrist zippers, and was that a mistake. Every time I had to peel the suit down to use the head, I had to get my hand through the wrist holes - and putting it back on was no bargain, either, when it was wet. My struggles left nail marks in the neoprene. I took it back to him, and he put them in for me. If you do zippers, definitely do the velcro closures, and think about where you want the ankle zipper placed. Mine is on the back, and it tends to catch my heel bone as I take off the suit. It would have worked better for me on the outside.

My current 7mm has no ankle/wrist zippers. I like it better than the one I had with zippers. But dive skin is a must, otherwise there is no way I could put the suit on/take it off in less than couple hours. :) With the skin it's quite easy.

I *love* my Xcel 8/7/6 mm, with zippers at the ankles but not at the wrists. As for the wrists: I don't seem to have any trouble punching my hands out of the wrist seals. As for the ankles: the zippers are key for getting my foot out, and they aid immeasurably in getting a nice overlap between exposure suit and bootie. I have the velcro strap, but I've never been without it, so I don't know how much of a difference it makes.

One additional feature that I love: nested inside the neoprene at the ankle is a thin lycra sleeve. The sleeve goes inside the bootie, then the neoprene goes over the bootie. I can't imagine being toastier!

...all for your input. I ordered the suit today and went for the full complement of zips. I'm sure I could do without the wrist zippers, but I figure they'll make life easier. I often have to get into (and out of) my wetsuit three or four times in a diving day, so easier is good.

The wetsuit is a birthday present from my boyfriend, so I'll be able to refer to as my 'birthday suit'.

:wink:

Zept

I've had the wetsuit for six weeks now and I'm glad I went for the zips. The other thing that has made a huge difference is wearing a long-sleeved lycra top underneath it... makes it much easier to slide my arms into the suit.

In general the suit is great. The only problem is that the neck is way too loose. I've just taken it back to be adjusted for the second time.

Back
Top Bottom