Wrinkles November Dive PreDive Scouting 11-13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

here is Ana, Ann Marie and JDog with the infamous Smitty...

:wink:

Jennifer

sapphire:
here is Ana, Ann Marie and JDog with the infamous Smitty...

:wink:

Jennifer

Looks like Smitty is getting ready for an Anna feeding session, lucky boy.........

divinman:
Say you are underwater and missed your drop in point. You can use it in the horizontal position to "look" for structure within 200ft.

Or for instance. "hmmmm....wonder what the vis REALLY is?" Point at a rock at the edge of your vision an tada!!! it will tell you how far away it is.

Also great for accurate site mapping.

Terry
Exactly! We could have used this when diving with Robert Phillips about a week ago.

Here is what happened. We lined up by triangulating on objects at surface to dive Deadman's Reef. When we dropped down we were about 70' deep so we knew we were too far from shore (the deepest part of the reef is only about 64'), but if we were too far east and swam toward shore we would miss the reef completely since just east of the reef it's just sand. We surfaced and saw that on our decent (and now ascent) we had drifted quite a distance east. So we lined up again at surface and compensated for this drift. We dropped right down on it this time.

Had we had the depth gauge and used it horizontally, we would have seen the distance to the reef and which direction it was in by using "pings" to "sweep" the bottom starting in the direction that we thought the reef was in. After looking at where we were once back on the surface, we saw that we were probably only between 50 and 100 feet away. Substitute the reef in this example with any sizeable structure that you are looking for on the bottom. If you are within a couple hundred feet you'll now be able to find it without having to burn up your gas using a cris-cross search pattern to "try" and find it.

Hope that makes sense and that a "true life story" about "real divers" helped. No names were changed since there was no one innocent to protect. :wink:

Christian

ShakaZulu:
Looks like Smitty is getting ready for an Anna feeding session, lucky boy.........
He was, and we just about puked watching him tongue the chips and salsa :yuck:

Awww, I thought you like the 20 mintue conversation you had with our friend Smitty...i was only being nice to him because I thought you guys were friends LOL

By the way did you talk Jaime into coming out to play with us this weekend Anne Marie?

Ana

wrinkles:
Awww, I thought you like the 20 mintue conversation you had with our friend Smitty...i was only being nice to him because I thought you guys were friends LOL

By the way did you talk Jaime into coming out to play with us this weekend Anne Marie?

Ana

Take pictures.........

Roy:

Todd:
He was, and we just about puked watching him tongue the chips and salsa :yuck:

We did put the brakes on when he was trying to get some of Ann Marie's lip gloss, however :wink:

wrinkles:
By the way did you talk Jaime into coming out to play with us this weekend Ann Marie?

Ana

I'll get him there at least at some point in the afternoon. Perhaps when I load my gear I will "accidently" load his golf clubs. Then he'll have to come by. If I tell him Gina's pizza and beer for dinner that will help too!

His feelings are hurt 'cause no one asked him directly....his email is:
jmccann@lucasgroup.com

headhunter:
Exactly! We could have used this when diving with Robert Phillips about a week ago.

Here is what happened. We lined up by triangulating on objects at surface to dive Deadman's Reef. When we dropped down we were about 70' deep so we knew we were too far from shore (the deepest part of the reef is only about 64'), but if we were too far east and swam toward shore we would miss the reef completely since just east of the reef it's just sand. We surfaced and saw that on our decent (and now ascent) we had drifted quite a distance east. So we lined up again at surface and compensated for this drift. We dropped right down on it this time.

Had we had the depth gauge and used it horizontally, we would have seen the distance to the reef and which direction it was in by using "pings" to "sweep" the bottom starting in the direction that we thought the reef was in. After looking at where we were once back on the surface, we saw that we were probably only between 50 and 100 feet away. Substitute the reef in this example with any sizeable structure that you are looking for on the bottom. If you are within a couple hundred feet you'll now be able to find it without having to burn up your gas using a cris-cross search pattern to "try" and find it.

Hope that makes sense and that a "true life story" about "real divers" helped. No names were changed since there was no one innocent to protect. :wink:

Christian

So Ana could use it to, say, find the swim platform in the Dive Park on the first try, right?

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom