Wrinkle October Dive WHERE??

Wrinkles October Dive Where??? You choose

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some of these OC & San Diego divers need to make the trip towards Los Angeles for once. If I remember correctly, Wrinkles lives in the Valley and it seems like most folks have been doing the drive south for the last few dives.

October is a funky work month, but I'm going to try and join the group. If you haven't been to Longpoint (Old Marineland), I would recommend it. Choosing somewhere with a nearby alternate dive site would be wise as well. If Longpoint was blown out, Malaga Cove would probably be divable (10 min from each other).

Roland

The Shores in La Jolla work well for 'making a day of it'. We could get an early dive in and then have a 2 hour interval if we are worried about the depth. Then do a second dive and go get refills and a sandwich and do a 3rd dive - or BBQ on the grass there and have plenty of interval on that dive also.

ryanarcher:
The Shores in La Jolla work well for 'making a day of it'. We could get an early dive in and then have a 2 hour interval if we are worried about the depth. Then do a second dive and go get refills and a sandwich and do a 3rd dive - or BBQ on the grass there and have plenty of interval on that dive also.

I agree Ryan! One thing people should realize is that there is a shallow dive site you can walk to called the Marine Room. It can get down to 30 feet or so. I have seen a lot of things in the Marine Room including baitballs, morays, leopard sharks, and more. You can also kayak from the same location all through the preserve; kayaks can be rented.(Ryan any details on that?)

Plus the area has a huge beach people can use as well. There are bathrooms, showers (public stuff) and a town area which is accessible by walking. Behind the beach is a huge grassy area we would use for our gathering with benches, etc. It's a pretty unique spot well-suited to our purpose!

We should have a BBQ after at the shores...........

I think that is a great idea. Three dives with a BBQ in between sounds wonderful. And it will give those of us who can't make it early time enough to come down and join us later in the afternoon.

A BBQ with everyone sounds great. The only catch is that everyone is going to have to bring something for the group BBQ. So it will take a little bit of coordinating. I do have a really good grill that I can bring if we decide to do this and I also make yummy cookies. =)

Ana

Here is the deal with the Shores and the BBQ and all - it will take coordination and time in planning, but it could be super fun and this also allows any non-diving people to join (spouses, significant others, kids, etc.). The kyack idea is interesting, but I don't think it is too feasible. My wife rented them from La Jolla Kayak (www.lajollakayak.com) and they were fun - but not 'diving' kayaks. Their rates are 2 hours - single person $28.00 or 4 hours for $38.00 ... and double person kayak for 2 hours is $45.00 or 4 hours for $60.00.

They have BBQ grills there - but it would be best and easier if we had someone bring one down to the park early (I have one we can use, but I need a truck to take it down). Also - if anyone has a huge shade that would be helpful, any tables are useful and everyone could bring their own chairs.

As far as food goes - someone local could possibly make a Costco run and pick up burgers, buns, chips and whatever and just have people RSVP and pay them back. Drinks could be bought or (more easily) have people bring their own. La Jolla is a no alcohol allowed beach - so just beware...meaning if you want a beer, I'd suggest Tecate in a can with a coozy (cool cup) so it looks like a can of coke because all you can see is the top red part :)

Plans can be figured out later - once the date is set and the location is set for sure.

This is sounding like a great plan. A BBQ would be great. Count me in!! Once we set a date we can start determining who wants to participate in the BBQ, what the head count for each family will be, who is bringing what, where exactly we will be, who will be in charge of grabbing the spot before some other group gets it, and most important....who is in charge of dancing to appease the water gods so that we have ideal conditions. :eyebrow:

ryanarcher:
bbq...
beer...
kayaks...
I love the BBQ idea... Plus it gives me something to do if any of these dives are out of my skill set... As for beer I'm glad you told me... I would have never guessed that it was banned in the park area seeing as day in day out you see empty corona cases sittin on the picnic tables in the mornings...

And as for kayaking I have a Scupper Pro and a Wave Sport X at my disposal... The Scupper is a sit on top and easy to handle coming in at 14' 9"... It can also easily accomidate diving due to the fact the aft has an area where you can strap down a tank and the hatch in the hull can hold the various gear... The Wave Sport on the other hand is a surf kayak that you seal yourself into... It's about 8' long and kind of dangerous if you don't know what you're doing and you flip... But anyone feeling confident enough I could show how to bail out of it pretty easy... Flipping that sod monkey upright is a whole other story... I also do have to find the skirt for it seeing as it is currently missing but that should be no big deal...

BBQ, music, and drinks sound great, if it's going this route keep in mind that October has a big climate change and it's also daylight savings towards the end of the month.

If the kids and wives are coming, it may be a bit cold.

If it's at the end of the month we have to start very early.

I suggest we push for very early October so that our "Dive-tober Fest" is successful.

Here is a San Diego weather almanac:

www.usatoday.com/weather/climate/usa/calif/wsandieg.htm

Either way you can count me in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom