Wrestling with drysuit buoyancy - another update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIdiverMike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been wrestling with uncontrolled ascents and an uncomfortable crotch squeeze with my used DUI TLS350 suit and a number of folks offered a variety of suggestions. Stretching out the suit in a big "X" pattern on the surface before descending does seem to have made the crotch squeeze more tolerable. Venting air has been very challenging however, and while I wondered about the exhaust valve, I frankly thought it was just something I was doing wrong (as a number of folks said - hey it's just physics - get the valve to the highest point and it will work).

Well on Sat I had my LDS replace the old original Apex valve with a newer Si-tech. We could see a lot of grit inside the old valve and it certainly didn't turn easy or push in/out very easy either.

Let the glue dry for 24 hours and took it out for a spin on a beautiful albeit cool Sunday afternoon in Newport, RI. Got down to about 35 feet after several bursts into the inflator. Rolled over on my right and glanced up to see the bubbles exhausting from the valve. Worked like a charm! Had no trouble with floaty feet or venting as needed. Went to about 60 ft max and had no trouble controlling my ascent or hanging for my 3 min SS.

There may be hope for me and this drysuit business yet!

Thx to all the folks for their various helpful suggestions. Felt like I learned alot.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom