Wrecks with family connections

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nearly one third of the dives I have done in my lifetime are on the RMS Rhone, and on a number of occasions I have dived with the descendants of either survivors or victims.

John:

Really interesting and about your Dad and Uncle. I know the Germans kept really detailed records, but I'm not sure how the Italians did their record keeping. Could the Italian Consulate help you in your search? Since getting back to Rome may be difficult, searching on the internet might be worth a try. Are you sure the sub sank? With your Dad's discharge papers and maybe a little help from your Uncle (pictures - his discharge papers) about the hull number, you may be able to find out the history. Good luck in your search. I really enjoy WWII history, so if you find out anything, and could post it, that would be cool.

Safe diving to you.

Yeah, I learned alot of my dads history after he passed. As a child I often questioned him about his time in the service and he only spoke of it once late in his life.. He did tell me when his ship caught fire. ammo racks went off and my dad took schrapnel to the back of his body (carried some of them to his grave) along with a couple of bullets through both legs, he was thrown overboard. never told me what happened after that I could tell it was something he wanted to forget.
My Uncle tried to get his and my father's records from several sources to no avail,
I have just come across some more paper work that my Pop saved. They are old and faded along with being in Italian. I will forward them to my uncle and see if that will
make any headway! It may be a while, but I will let you know
See you topside! John

A while ago I did contact you as I was trying to find the location of hms Sikh which went down off the coast of tobruk 14 September 1942. I have now been given some co-ordinates for it's position of 32 degrees 05'N , 24 degrees 00' E which would accord with the information that the ship was wrecked only 1 mile off the coast. Any ideas? She went down with HMs Zulu at the same time and the two would have been very close by.

A while ago I did contact you as I was trying to find the location of hms Sikh which went down off the coast of tobruk 14 September 1942. I have now been given some co-ordinates for it's position of 32 degrees 05'N , 24 degrees 00' E which would accord with the information that the ship was wrecked only 1 mile off the coast. Any ideas? She went down with HMs Zulu at the same time and the two would have been very close by.

Usually such coordination from the internet is not that accurate !!

Thanks

Arebi

Not sure Welshgirl50, but according to this:

HMS Zulu - Shipwrecks of Egypt

The Zulu sank in 2,300m of water! (last paragraph)

Audission - same article advises the HMS Sikh sank just offshore from Tobruk, and of course that's the ship Welshgirl50 would like to find info on - for a possible dive.

---

Arebi - So what do you know about wrecks off Tobruk ? Do you have any contacts over in the Tobruk area that could possibly advise "Welshgirl50" of diving on the HMS Sikh ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom