Wrecks moved by Hurricane Dennis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how many wrecks were moved from their original resting place by Hurricane Dennis? I only know of Spiegel which was found upright. I have a presentation to make and this would be very helpful.

:lotsalove:

Honestly I know of no other wrecks "moved" by Dennis.

I know there was a big todo about the storm moving the Spiegle, but it would be more accurate to say that Dennis allowed the Spiegle to move it self. Ships by design want to sit keel down, otherwise they would be very unstable on the surface. When the Spiegle was on its side there was a large amount of potential energy waiting to be used. (high school physics). Once the storm had washed out the sand under her keel the energy was used and she righted herself.

Safe dives
trtldvr
Florida Keys Safe Diving Initiative

I admit the idea of the storm doing what the high priced salvage companies couldn't do, does make a better story.

Is it not true that Jim Atrea was also "turned" by the storm? Its not as huge but its miles away.

I dont remeber off hand which storm it was, but the Eagle was broken in 2 and the 2 piecse separated by a hurricane.

Is it not true that Jim Atrea was also "turned" by the storm? Its not as huge but its miles away.

I'm not aware of Hurricane Dennis impacting her.

Sunk in 1987, the Atria was originally in ~115' laying on its' port side. Hurricane Andrew (1992) pushed her a 1/4 mile out to 135' and left upright and undamaged, with her two masts intact. Pretty amazing IMO.

Today however, she's definitely showing the signs of age, with collapsed areas and large cracks growing throughout.

What storm obliterated Joe's Tug? I've heard that its just a debris field anymore...

This was found on subtropic.com. If you try a dogpile ship of wrecks affected by hurricanes, you will get lots of sites:

This 65 foot (19.8 m) steel-hulled tug lies at a depth of 68 feet (20.7 m) and is accessible to most open-water certified divers. The hull was opened up by Hurricane George, and shelters schools of snapper, as well as usually resident Jewfish and eels. The dive is interesting not only for the wreck itself, but for the surrounding deep reef.

Yes, Georges did the initial damage to Joe's and then the multiple storms of 04 and 05 broke her and spread her out. I know many people say she is just a pile of junk now, but in my opinion this is now truly one of the most interesting dives in the lower keys. The mistake that many of the dive opporators make is selling this trip as a wreck dive. The true beauty of this dive has always been the surrounding reef. It is loaded with life. If this dive was sold as an outer reef. with wreckage, divers going on the trip would have different expectations. Now that she is broken up the debris feild gives plenty of habitat for more life. It also spreads the divers. If you watch th sand patches just to the north of the main hull you are likely to see yellowheaded jawfish. I almost always find a Jewfish. If you are so inclined just to the south there is a roll off witch drops down to about 100ft, killer spotted eagle rays are often seen here, but don't worry, only the people that are on the boat need to be afraid of them.

Safe dives
trtldvr
Florida Keys Safe Diving Initiative

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom