Wrecked in the Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went off to the Red Sea recently on a dive trip - I got there OK, my checked in luggage didn't !! It contained my dive gear plus some other vital bits - like my strobe arms, strobe & focus light batteries, fibre optic cables to trigger the strobes plus my port extensions. I tried to get all of my photo gear into my carry on (Lowepro Vertex 300 AW) but it was already full and heavy at 17 Kg. So I was down to shooting natural light with a lens I have never used before - the 8mm FE. To add insult to injury the lens release button came off my camera 2 days before we left. The good news is that my baggage arrived the day we stopped diving.

I'll stop the violins now, here are some pics. They were taken on the wreck of the Chrisoula K, a Greek cargo vessel that sank in 1981 after running aground on the Sha'ab Abu Nuhas Reef. The cargo was mainly a load of tiles.

All taken at ISO 100, f3.5 and between 1/125 and 1/250

C&C welcome !!

2743570283_f31110b600.jpg

2744407774_b12f56ab08.jpg

2743570781_963c73b9ca.jpg

2744408202_c02ccb6721.jpg

2744408504_5857d70227.jpg

Andy, even with only part of your system the pictures are incredible. I cannot get over how clear the water is. I am very envious. Again, great shots Andy. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry to hear about the luggage, not having all your gear. I know what a disappointment that must have been! But, the pictures are very cool, nice blues! Looks like some great diving. And a huge wreck!

Here's my C&C:
I am wondering if they aren't a bit over-processed? Particularly, over-saturated and over-sharpened? Just a little?

Here's my C&C:
I am wondering if they aren't a bit over-processed? Particularly, over-saturated and over-sharpened? Just a little?

Thanks Jennifer !

The only processing I have done to these is WB in ACR (shot in RAW) maybe bumped up the exposure a bit and then levels in PS. No saturation or other colour adjustments. You could be right on the sharpening though.

Great pictures! Thanx for sharing!

I'm also stunned over the visibility. Any idea how much it was? And how deep is the wreck?

Must go to the Red Sea in the future. Not that far from here...

Thanks Maggy !!

The viz was around 30m. depth varies from around 25m at the stern to 15m on the deck.

Wow really great picts Andy....Make me kinda get a chill about how they got there...

Back
Top Bottom