Wreck Valley NJ/NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulthenurse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone got any recs on a good charter operator in the mid/upper NJ area? Ishouldknowbetter and I are headed down to Philly the week before Labor Day to deliver Spawn to school. We wanted to get out on some of the local rust while down there. I found a few links to operations from the Wreck Valley forum but they all seemed like they are HUGE cattle boats. Nothing too wrong with that, except...well cattle boats suck! Being on a cattle boat full of Yankee/Mets fans at the end of August might be too much for me to take. On second thought, this year it might just be a fun time. Nah, it would still suck.

Any suggestions? I sort of half hoped to get on the Stolt D. Ya, its NJ's version of the Poling, but I like the Poling. We will be dropping Spawn off at St Joes on Sunday 8/27, available for diving on the 28th and 29th.
PTN
Don't suggest I ask in the NY/NJ forum. Anyone who is a Yankee/Mets fan is, by definition, misguided. :D

I've used Gypsy Blood out of Barnegat Light. It's a nice boat, fast, roomy, two heads and they provide lunch. Sometimes they will pickup at the Waretown dock which is much easier to get to, especially coming from the north. It looks like they have an open boat on the 29th. http://www.gypsyblooddive.com

edit - I just saw your dates are in August. I don't know if they run midweek without a charter commitment. I have the boat chartered on 27th of August and have some open spots. We're diving the San Saba. http://njscuba.net/sites/chart_nj_center.html#SanSaba. We're also planning on being picked up at the Waretown dock.

I use Blue Fathoms out of Point Pleasant. It's a 6 pack and Capt. Tony is very accomodating. He doesn't have anything scheduled for the days you're planning, but if you can get a couple more divers, he might be willing to go out.

Try Capt Dan Berg's Wreck Valley. He runs a top notch operation. He runs with small groups and is very flexible.

Call Al Pyatak, on the Sea Lion at (973) 887-0194. Al runs the dive boat operation with the oldest history in NJ, dating to 1961, not the original old boat but THE original NJ Dive Boat operation *period*. NJ Wreck Diving was invented on the Sea Lion. I worked on the boat for almost 30 years on and off and the operation is the "real deal". He helped me bring EXPLORER up from Long Island on Memorial Day and he's the best there is. Let me know what you do with him, if I have the day free I'll come and join you.

Stolt Dagali is "OK" but there are LOTS better wrecks here. Big and steel = boring and no artifacts. Try one of our "digging wrecks" from the 1800's and bring home some nice brass stuff.

In case you want to ask the misguided...you might be surprised at the answers:

It's all in good fun, friend. Not that we carry a grudge or anything like that! Oct 2004 fixed that! :D

How does it work down there? Does a LDS typically charter a boat for the day and if you want to go you contact the LDS? It seems like a lot of boats have days reserved for clubs. Do you need to join the club?
Paul

Dave,
I called Al Pyatak at your suggestion and we are tentatively booked on the 29th. (I just need to talk to Alice first, her brother might be home from China and will want to come.) Al said that he has another captain who works on Al's off weeks. I laughed when he told me that the other Cap was a guy who works in a hospital 7 overnights in a row. "Hey, that guy is ME!!" Turns out the other guy is a Pharmacist.

If you are available and want to dive that day, we'd love to go with someone who's a local. (Actually, Alice is a local Jersey girl from Keansburg, but we just don't talk about that.:11doh: ) I don't have any experience with the Wreck Diving culture. I generally just go and look, wouldn't know where to begin to start to sift thru muck to find stuff, but I'm more than willing to learn. Got any good suggestions on sites for beginner muck rakers?

Hey Paul,

What a coincidence: I was at the shop talking to Al and filling my rebreather 02 bottles when you called. Nice to talk to you! Capt. Steve Sheerin will be the other Captain, I've been diving with him on the Sea Lion since 1974... he's a great guy. Best bet is that you'll go to one of our absolutely best digging wrecks, the SS Delaware. 74 feet to the sand, and I have never been skunked for an artifact of some sort. My first wreck dive was to her, and the lump of coal I retrieved still sits in my china cabinet as a prize. If vis is good you'll have a ball sightseeing. If vis is bad, however, things will be better! You'll find more artifacts because it'll make you keep your nose down in the sand. Swim off the starbord side of the wreck just abeam where Stevie will tie in (the propeller shaft just behind the engine). Drop down to the natural bottom and start swimming up forward VERY SLOWLY while sweeping the gravel and sand with your light. Keep the wreck on your left shoulder and you won't get lost. Keep this up for about 75 feet until the definition of the wreck starts to change and I bet even money you'll find *something* green (brass) in your light. Many of the small goodies are swept just out of the wreck in the storms and lay in her lee. I found an entire dresser drawer contents there once, no wood, but two sailors uniform suspender clips, a brass safety pin, several buttons, the face-plates for the key locks to the dresser, the key, and several coins (all on one dive!). Brass spikes are also very common. Keep looking for green things in your light beam! Once you get to where the edge of the wreck loses definition, cross back into the wreck and swim aft again... keep the edge of the wreck on your left shoulder and the boilers will pass close on your right. Keep your face DOWN in that gap, as there are usually goodies there. Then you'll swim past the engine and be right back at the anchor line where you started. Swim aft along the prop shaft, look at the prop, and then back to the anchor and you'll have a great dive. One "unknown goodie" to look for: The Delaware has been bottom-fished for Tautog (we call 'em "Blackfish") since the turn of the century and is LOADED with lead sinkers (and I mean TONS). One dive shop here got started by a guy who loaded sinkers into milk crates, lift-bagged them, melted themn into dive weights, sold them to dive shops, and earned enough money to start his own shop. But I digress.... some of the old sinkers are collectable in themselves. Don't overlook them as an artifact. I found a few from the turn of the 20th century that had leather tags to tie on to the line. Make nice paperweights. Many small bits of glas are there too, much of it fire-cracked as she burned to the waterline before sinking. The colors in the pieces are interesting so don't hesitate to collect one or two even though they don't look like much on the bottom.

Look her up on the net, there's plenty to read on her. Sadly (or gladly!) I'll be running Explorer for three weeks straight in RI last two weeks of August and first week September so will miss you there. Hit us in RI on your way back to Boston and I'll show you the U-Boat as we discussed.

You found yourself to the right spot in NJ. Glad you did! Keansburg is not a bad place... I was standing on the waters edge there last week at sunrise when a striped bass blitz happened, there were acres of 30+ pound bass chasing bunker (menhaden) up to the surface and chowing-down like they were bluefish. The rod fishermen were tossing back 30 pounders to keep 40 pounders. All a freediver like me could do was watch, as the bay water vis is only about 10 inches. Damn!

Best,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom