Wreck reel manufacturers: Pros and Cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raxafarian once bubbled...
Matt: I have both the manta jr. and the halcyon. I'll bring them with me to dutch springs (unless I see you before then).

I prefer the manta. (this is based upon my limited use of both).

cool...then I'll take your Halcyon off you :)

King Kong Matt once bubbled...

cool...then I'll take your Halcyon off you :)

you're gonna take my backup???

I said I like the manta better. I'll add that I can see the manta failing first (internal parts for the squeeze release). So I'll keep using the manta and keep the halcyon hanging on the back d-ring for a backup.

Get Dan to buy you one with his huge discount :wink:

I like Manta reels...

I use a Manta Sr. for penetration and a Manta Mini for Deco off a lift bag.

The only thing i dont like about the Manta Sr. is the squeeze handle. It gets tiring keeping it squeezed while laying or winding up line.

A trick i create is squeeze the grip and put a tie over the handle in the upper corner. Now you will be able to move the tie one direction to keep the handle squeezed or move in another direction to manually operate or release handle.

I see Manta discovered the same problem as they now sell a plastic device that does the same thing. But, i prefer my tie cause its cheap and i have been using the same tie for about 3yrs now without a break.

99% of cave divers around the world stake their life on Dive Rite reels. These are by far the simplest, most straightforward and streamlined reels that are mainstream. There are a few others that are more elegant and more indestructible, but are usually custom made or limited production. Halcyon reels IMHO look great on the shelf and are models of architectural styling, but in use fall short of the mark. The pathfinder is awkward to lay line and keep tension with your finger. And that stop screw leaves gouges in the edge of the spool which create nicks that tend to "click" and hang up when unreeling. Unacceptable. A design which puts the stop screw in the side of the spool is more desireable, as it only leaves a groove with wear and doesn't hang. The pathfinder also has awkward balance, is awkward to rewind, and is goofy to hold a goodman handle with. And it is much heavier than similar reels. The biggest gripe I have is it's lack of balance in comparison to a conventional reel that puts the spool directly below the divers hand. After trying the pathfinder I found myself with a cramp from having my hand in "the claw" position. No good.

Halcyon finger spools should be outlawed in caves. They routinely pop off the clip and have a habit of unwinding all over you and the floor of wherever you are diving. I lost mine and I will not be replacing it. Dive rite makes small safety spools that are a much better choice.

Full Tech Cave, Full Trimix DM, A.I.,50 logged hours in overhead in 2004, blah blah blah

Back
Top Bottom