Wreck penetration course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Who has a good wreck penetration course? I want to take one this summer, so I am going to start kicking the tires now.

I don't want a PADI vs. NAUI thread. I just want good, and bad experiences from folks who have attended courses. (I took xxx course, and this part sucked, but the other part was good) or (They could have touched on this more)

I plan to do my own research to make the final choice myself, but I am looking for some input from divers to point me in a general direction.

Thanks, LIT

MoonWrasse:
Seems like TDI would be what you're looking for. PADI only does shallow penetration, if at all.

http://www.tdisdi.com/tdi/courses/courses.html

And of course the one around me who teaches it - We don't get along, and we don't play well together. :censored:

Lil' Irish Temper:
Who has a good wreck penetration course? I want to take one this summer, so I am going to start kicking the tires now.

I don't want a PADI vs. NAUI thread. I just want good, and bad experiences from folks who have attended courses. (I took xxx course, and this part sucked, but the other part was good) or (They could have touched on this more)

I plan to do my own research to make the final choice myself, but I am looking for some input from divers to point me in a general direction.

Thanks, LIT

I'd say it really depends on the instructor rather than the course. If you get an instructor with a cave/technical background he will demand far more from you than one that has just gone through the conventional courses.
Ask if you will be doing line-following without a mask in zero vis.

miketsp:
I'd say it really depends on the instructor rather than the course. If you get an instructor with a cave/technical background he will demand far more from you than one that has just gone through the conventional courses.
Ask if you will be doing line-following without a mask in zero vis.
I would have to agree with Mike , Get yourself a instructor with a good cave /technical background , Trust me ,I was drilled with penetrating line and lights and lost mask exit . So the training is intense , but you will be able to appriciate it later when you think about a penetration dive. Utmostly important , your rule of thirds, air supply ,one third in , one third out and one third reserve-emergency. At least three dive tourches and your linear rule of 130 feet. Awareness of conditions , silt out and moving falling objects (entrapment) and the list goes on.

I would look for a course that is essentially teaching you cave techniques in a steel cave. Learning how to lay line, how to tie off and search for a lost line, how to do lights out air sharing, learning how to do touch contact exits, etc, etc. That's all good stuff.

Something that focuses on redundancy - air sources, lights, mask (maybe...) that sort of thing. You want to have training that prepares you for when the wreck gets silted out, you can't see a thing, you've lost the line and you have an out of air problem.

I'm not sure if he teaches a wreck course but you might want to talk to Doppler. He's a TDI instructor and cave diver (may even be a cave instructor, but I can't remember) who's up in your neck of the woods. I've never taken a class with him but I've heard nothing but glowing recommendations from people on TDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom