Wreck or Rock - Round 2!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

20230706_143259.jpg

Maybe. Better pictures coming when I get home. It looks like a whaleboat with bows over it to me

Wreck. Looks to be a tug or trawler with no deck. Possibly scuttled.
almost everything around here in that depth range is scuttled or "not quite intentionally sank but definitely not wanted and ignored afterwards"

You remember back in May when I said "Maybe Friday"?

Yeah, it took a little longer than that.

I finally got out Thursday and dove it, and damn, that was impressive!

She is a 40+ foot steel workboat that appears to have sunk at anchor. Based on the condition of the wreck and some of the artifacts I found, I'm guessing she sank sometime in the 70s or 80s. The hull appears to have been painted yellow, but aside from that I couldn't find any identifying markings, though the sealife was pretty thick. Depth was probably 12 feet at the top and 20 feet at the sand, er, muck. I didn't see any sign of an engine, but she has a HUGE rudder, which confuses me to no end. Hopefully someone on here will have some good ideas about where to look for an identification.

I'm going to have to find another diver to hold the end of a tape measure to get out and start documenting the wreck, but that will probably be a next year problem. This would be a great candidate for photogrammetry, if i had that capability.

This is a very significant wreck for me because this is EXACTLY why I got certified. I have now discovered, located, and documented a previously unknown wreck. Sure, this one was easy, the the techniques and experience will carry over to the harder future projects. I already have at least one wreck lined up for next year and several more to research over the winter.

It was a pretty memorable 25th dive!

This is near Bellingham? only 12ft below the surface sounds like a significant hazard to navigation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom