Wreck of WWII-era dive bomber found off South Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the sake of preserving the wreck, it would probably be best if the location were kept a secret but that would be difficult to do.

Nice to hear about a newly discovered WWII wreck though. Very cool.
I disagree with this attitude even more than the attitude of those that take things from the wreck.

If left alone, the wreck will simply disintegrate... the location had might as well be shared so people can learn from it and enjoy the history before that happens.

Yes, a possible risk is looting... but if it's kept a secret, "the next guy" won't see any part of the wreck, so in essence, you're "looting" the entire site.

Way to go, Brad! (of B & B)!!! I am sure Brad will do what's right and besides, it IS still Navy property. . .

besides, it IS still Navy property. . .

Not sure this makes any difference. I have made numerous, repeated email attempts to get preservation statements out of 2 different military information offices on Oahu and NOAA with regards to the ongoing desecration of the Corsair wreck off Oahu. After 6 emails (2 each) I never even got a reply.

The Captain(s) that drive divers to the Corsair regularly say "don't forget to sit in it for a photo" from what I've both seen and heard.

Even Ty Sawyer has printed articles in Sport Diver Magazine, repeatedly, where he says the same photo op crap, even after he and his PADI Diving Society superior told me in personal emails that they would not do it after the first time.

As far as I have heard, at this point the newly discovered wreck is considered "likely" to be a WWII "era" wreck; to be a WWII wreck it would have had to go down during conflict I believe, and that is yet to be determined.

Nice to hear about a newly discovered WWII wreck though. Very cool.

As far as I have heard, at this point the newly discovered wreck is considered "likely" to be a WWII "era" wreck; to be a WWII wreck it would have had to go down during conflict I believe, and that is yet to be determined.[/QUOTE]

When did it go down?...wasn't there a "CONFLICT" in progress at the time?

As for now I believe keeping the site hush hush till more info can be compiled, like the builders plate will give us a lot of info.
the one thing that's going to make a shady grey area about "US NAVY PROPERTY" is there's no sailor remains in it....NAVAIR probably won't want it back...course they did salvage a wreck in the marshalls that went down in 1944

will be interesting eather way, unfortunatly there will be TROPHY HUNTERS/TREASURE FINDERS looking to collect

my 2 cents.

I disagree with this attitude even more than the attitude of those that take things from the wreck.

If left alone, the wreck will simply disintegrate... the location had might as well be shared so people can learn from it and enjoy the history before that happens.

Yes, a possible risk is looting... but if it's kept a secret, "the next guy" won't see any part of the wreck, so in essence, you're "looting" the entire site.

Kris,
I both agree and disagree with you cause the wrecks in Truk are rotting away...but they get looted regularly...each time we go back, there's fewer and fewer of anything..even explosives.
being a history major and a Sailor. I'd like to see the wreck too...before it fades
guess i'm up to 4 cents now

When did it go down?...wasn't there a "CONFLICT" in progress at the time?

Well it would seem you are making my point for me, even though I thought I had already made it? No one has said when it went down so until someone says when it went down it is just a WWII "era" wreck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom