Wreck Diving in Kingston Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NavyDoll

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Ontario Fresh Water Freaks...

I'm an Ontario girl... now living & working out here in BC!

Anyway, over the weekend I got into a discussion about Wreck Diving in Lake Ontario in the Kingston area... and am hoping that those of you here from that area will be able to help resolve our debate!!

The big question is.... Do you or do you not dive the majority of the wrecks in the winter? Do any charters go to the wrecks during the winter months?

Thanks for your help...

NavyDoll

NavyDoll:

Anyway, over the weekend I got into a discussion about Wreck Diving in Lake Ontario in the Kingston area... and am hoping that those of you here from that area will be able to help resolve our debate!!

The big question is.... Do you or do you not dive the majority of the wrecks in the winter? Do any charters go to the wrecks during the winter months?

Thanks for your help...

NavyDoll

Not quite true, yes we dive wrecks in the winter, but it is from shore. The boats have to come out of the water in November due to a variety of reasons.

Have a look at the following websites for information on the worlds best freshwater wrecks.

My Site
Vlada's Site
Marvinpa's Ontario Diving Site
and Dive Ontario

NavyDoll:
The lake (and much of the river) begin icing over in late December / early January. Most divers hang up their gear before this, however, some of the wrecks are accessible from shore for well trained ice divers.

The ice disappears typically near the end of March / early April.

NavyDoll:

Thanks for your help...

NavyDoll

I have in the past put our small trailerable boat in the water for a newyears day wreck dive. But as everyone has pointed out- the water gets too hard for the boats around Mid Jan. But diving never really stops in the Kingston-Brockville area as we all take to shore dives.

Cliff

While I don't stop diving in the winter (we do shore dives where it is open and ice diving where the water is solid), it definitely slows as there really are no charters that go out. Most of my diving occurs after the ice melts and before it freezes. It can be a decent window if we have an early melt say at the end of March and a late freeze, say December or even January.

It was February last year before pretty much everything was frozen over. Than again it thawed reasonably early too so the interruption was minimal (for some of us)

Hi...

Thanks so much to all you replied... will be sharing the thread with all those who didn't believe me :) Thanks also for the links to the local dive sites! I dove a couple of the wrecks back in 2003... couldn't believe how warm the water was... compared to out here in BC!!

Thanks again..
NavyDoll

Limestone Diver:
I have in the past put our small trailerable boat in the water for a newyears day wreck dive. But as everyone has pointed out- the water gets too hard for the boats around Mid Jan. But diving never really stops in the Kingston-Brockville area as we all take to shore dives.

Cliff

How does one get in on this, I know that the ground hogs have a very popular first dive of the year.

nauiguy:
How does one get in on this, I know that the ground hogs have a very popular first dive of the year.

If weather permits-- and time allows. I will post an invitation on the board.

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom