Wreck Diving Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then you want to proceed along with a technical wreck course not a recreational one. They are worlds apart DevonDiver nailed it.

You will likely need AN/DP and experience in doubles initially.

Although I agree with DevonDiver and Syntaxerrorsix, the TDI Wreck class list AOW as a minimum cert - which the OP has. Assuming he also has a Basic Wreck, Cavern, or Ice Diving course - he has met the certification requirements for the class. Likewise the OP has the minimum number of dives (50) for the class. I can't speak to his gear - as to whether or not he has redundant equipment that will meet the class requirements (doubles, sidemount, or H valve, lights, reels, etc.)

I'd recommend that an AOW diver with wreck/cavern/ or ice and 50 dives get LOTS of progressive experience before doing serious penetration dives in a wreck. I'd also recommend AN/DP or some other overhead training - to round out the necessary skills for that sort of environment.

But the OP might take the class - since that seems to be the kind of diving he is intent upon doing.

Bjorn

I would like to take wreck diving specialty from a very good and experience wreck diver. I have already dove on a dozen different wrecks and I would prefer someone who has a vast experience of both tech and rec diving as I have the feeling that most DM's will tell me what I already know or I have the feeling I could read the same info they did. I live in Rochester and dive the 1000 islands often. Any suggestions on someone who is good, I don't just want another c-card.

-Hostage

Wrecks Dove:

Islander - Alex Bay
Daryaw - Brockville
Vickery - near Alex Bay
Sir Robert Peel - near Alex Bay
Canastoga - near Brockville
Gaskin - near Brockville
Lilly Parsin's - near Brockville
Musky - near Brockville
Ash Island Barge - near Brockville
Keystorm - Near Alex Bay
Postal Ship - Skintatlas Finger Lakes
Rothesay - near Brockville

Steve Lewis, aka "Doppler" here on Scubaboard. He teaches a TDI Advanced Wreck program from time to time in the 1000 Islands area. If you haven't taken at look at his "The Six Skills", you should.

If you are serious about learning to wreck dive properly and not just collect another c card than you are in luck, you have one of the best in the business not too far from you, Steve Lewis.

Thanks folks... and I do have an Advanced Wreck scheduled this fall in the Thousand Islands. Contact me here or doppler at techdivertraining.org

Although I agree with DevonDiver and Syntaxerrorsix, the TDI Wreck class list AOW as a minimum cert - which the OP has. Assuming he also has a Basic Wreck, Cavern, or Ice Diving course - he has met the certification requirements for the class. Likewise the OP has the minimum number of dives (50) for the class. I can't speak to his gear - as to whether or not he has redundant equipment that will meet the class requirements (doubles, sidemount, or H valve, lights, reels, etc.)

I'd recommend that an AOW diver with wreck/cavern/ or ice and 50 dives get LOTS of progressive experience before doing serious penetration dives in a wreck. I'd also recommend AN/DP or some other overhead training - to round out the necessary skills for that sort of environment.

But the OP might take the class - since that seems to be the kind of diving he is intent upon doing.

Bjorn

Agreed, there is a TDI requirement that the diver not dive beyond current training. That would eliminate deco and significantly shorten penetrations without already having a technical dive background. Entry level requirements are simply that, entry level.

To do bigger dives the OP will definitely need more than the minimums.

I am rescue with o2 giver and drysuit. Thinking wreck will be a prereq for adv wreck.

While I dont have a billion dives, I am pretty good imho. That being said I still feel like I never stop learning. I have stopped two people from doing unintended acents. Though luckily neither paniced.

I am rescue with o2 giver and drysuit. Thinking wreck will be a prereq for adv wreck.

Actually it is not... since most "wreck" programs are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle when it comes to diving on actual wrecks with some level of appreciation, respect and safety, I agree with standards.

Nitrox is very useful but that can easily be incorporated into the AW program.

The cool thing about the course is that it has been designed to be accessible to many levels of diver and for them all to walk away with useful tools.

What are the dates for the fall course?

Wouldn't that be sort of like having a driving instructor who didn't want to go on the road? While he may be a great instructor, don't you really have to penetrate to get the full spectrum of knowledge? I may be wrong, and if so, it will be made apparent here.
RichH

I don't think you are wrong. There is no substitute for actual experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom