Wreck Diving Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know...I know... I should have posted pictures. On the downside, our instructor did not want us bringing a camera:depressed:.So I greatly apologize. However I do understand why.
My dive buddy and I are planning to go back out this Saturday and do two more wrecks. So THOSE will have pictures.
Charter-ScubaTyme
Class - Scuba School

Read this link: a hero in our midst.... did your cert course cover this? Think about how you'd react, think about how your buddy/buddies would react. Not trying to discourge you but wrecks do gather nets because they attract fish.

The wrecks that the OP is discussing are very common sites, visited weekly if not daily during good weather. I would think that any netting will be removed quickly by Dive Operators, and I have not seen anything on those wrecks that presents a potential entrapment hazard, but I have not done them in a while.

Wrecks can be VERY dangerous, but many are not. I have zero issue with Agencies offering a wreck class. Rather then telling everyone how pointless that class is, and suggesting they take a Tech class that is going to run $1000 said and done, maybe a bit of open mindedness is in order!

If the rec diver goes into the class knowing little or nothing about wreck diving, and comes out with some basic knowledge IMO that is a worthwhile goal. I agree the PADI digest version is not what one wants to do any serious penetration, but it's better than having newbies go into these wrecks on their own with no supervision or training whatsoever.

Having some knowledge of the dangers, and what can go wrong is better than the delusion of being invincible!

Having some knowledge of the dangers, and what can go wrong is better than the delusion of being invincible!

That's why the link. IMO the best way to learn anything is to do it with people who do it and are willing to guide you.

Several years ago my wife and I took a wreck workshop for the purpose of getting some exposure to line running. What we took away from the class, after doing a three-person blind exit drill, was that we had no business what-so-ever going inside a (real) wreck (and I still feel that way).

I agree that, IF DONE CORRECTLY, the PADI wreck course can provide the "average recreational diver" with some decent tools for appreciating wrecks -- and I hope that includes the appreciation of when to just observe from the outside.

I just finished the PADI course on the Speigle Grove in Key Largo. Great overall course. Most important lesson learned was to help define limits and my capabilities. Definitely know I WILL NOT penetrate a wreck without a local guide, and more training.

GUE has a great line of cave certifications, but they're fanatical about safety so they use redundant equipment and very specific procedures with zero flexibility. They're more expensive than TDI and Padi Tec courses, but they're also far more thorough, extremely challenging, and require exemplary skills prior to passing the DIR Fundamentals class... which is not guaranteed.

If you truly value superior dive skills, group safety, and advanced learning you should look into GUE.

If you truly value superior dive skills, group safety, and advanced learning you should look into GUE.

Not saying I disagree, however GUE doesn't currently offer a Wreck diving course.

Go on wreck with 20 dives in log is 2 way what may happen. You may have excellent dive and a lot of happines, or may stay inside wreck for ever.

For me It's necessary to have at least 2 lights, 2 first stages, 2 masks and reseved air source.
And remember - if you get a little problem inside wreck - it can be bigger in few seconds
And of course excellent buoyancy is very important.

I'll recomend course such as TDI AdvWreck or something like that.

Several years ago my wife and I took a wreck workshop for the purpose of getting some exposure to line running. What we took away from the class, after doing a three-person blind exit drill, was that we had no business what-so-ever going inside a (real) wreck (and I still feel that way).

I agree that, IF DONE CORRECTLY, the PADI wreck course can provide the "average recreational diver" with some decent tools for appreciating wrecks -- and I hope that includes the appreciation of when to just observe from the outside.

I got the same lesson out of the course I took. You gain more respect for wreck diving after taking it. As I've noticed with a lot of PADI courses, they seem to give you more information on how NOT to kill yourself than how to actually do something. (which isn't a BAD thing really)

I can also see how easy it is to get lost in a wreck. I did two dives on the Vandenberg, and there were PLENTY of TEMPTING places to go off the beaten path! (also on the Spiegel Grove)

Back
Top Bottom