Wreck Diving Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems to me there's a difference.

Well, I think most would recommend that an advanced (tech) wreck course is a good idea prior to real wreck penetration(tech). But, even if the advanced (tech) course is skipped, (which I personally advise against), I still think that the specialty course is still a good prep for real (advanced) (tech) penetration, as long as one acknowledges that it is not the ONLY prep for advanced (tech) penetration.

Kind of like basic math is a prep for algebra, which is a prep for calculus which is a prep for diff equations.

I didn't mean to imply that one could go directly from the wreck specialty course (basic math) directly to technical (real) wreck penetration (diff equations).

If Jim meant something other than advanced or technical when he typed "real" wreck penetrations, I misunderstood. Maybe others have to and a clarification is in order?

If Jim meant something other than advanced or technical when he typed "real" wreck penetrations, I misunderstood. Maybe others have to and a clarification is in order?

As much as I hate to ASSume (doing so has bit me on here before), I will.

I believe Jim meant that this type of course prepares a diver for overhead dives within the daylight zone and with severely limited penetrations (130 linear foot rule), but not for dives that will potentially put the diver outside of the daylight zone, zero viz, etc..

As much as I hate to ASSume (doing so has bit me on here before), I will.

I believe Jim meant that this type of course prepares a diver for overhead dives within the daylight zone and with severely limited penetrations (130 linear foot rule), but not for dives that will potentially put the diver outside of the daylight zone, zero viz, etc..

I agree with the above quote, although I would have added basic line/reel handling too.

After going back and rereading his and others posts, I think you are right. When I first read through this thread, I got the feeling most posters were diss-ing the OP; saying it was a worthless course, and would do nothing for his future goals regarding wrecks.

I also apologize that I did not read your previous post in its entirety. I was reading the email on my phone and I didn't see your second paragraph. I am not sure what distinction you are trying to make about previous dive training being applicable to future coursework but not future diving? Could you amplify?

In a way, I was addressing your math analogy before I read it.

I'm a very literal person, and probably read into your post something that wasn't there (a suggestion that a pre or pre pre requisite qualifies one dives at the end course level).

It's definitely a piecemeal process. I think we are in agreement.

Last edited:
Thanks Marc for the hand. You are correct in your assumptions of my post. I would however go further with it since unless things have changed penetration is optional in the PADI course. In addition no actual line handling skills are required prior to the final dive. Many instructors do include them but in my case they were cursory at best. SEI currently does not have wreck course on the table. Someone may be developing one (I hope so ), but if there is one in the works I will try my best to see that line and reel skills instruction and practice on land and on the wreck are required before entry.

I may in fact take up the challenge myself if no one else does time permitting. I've already written a nav course and am helping with new aow guidelines. Both of these require practice and work with a line and reel as I teach them. In my case it also was not emphasized enough how dangerous wrecks are and that you can still be in the light zone and die. I would and do require excellent, not good, buoyancy skills before allowing a diver to train for wreck diving.

I could go on but getting too involved would result in me starting on writing a course on top of the classes I have , the presentations on navigation and the failure of the buddy system as it relates to diver fatalities this year. But if I get motivated enough who knows?

I would however go further with it since unless things have changed penetration is optional in the PADI course. In addition no actual line handling skills are required prior to the final dive. Many instructors do include them but in my case they were cursory at best.
Penetration on dive 4 is still optional with a two student to one instructor ratio.
Reel work should be covered on dive 3. I do land drills during the surface intervals. Not sure how one would teach tie offs, knots, following a line and OOA exits underwater using hand signals. Big slate I guess.

I just finished the final two dives.(Im not certified for wrecks) But the first dive was just a 2 level swim around on the wreck. The second dive was mapping... Day 2: Met at the boat at 9 o clock. The instructor had us practice tying off the line and following above water. Then the third dive, the instructor had us practice tying the line under water, and finally the last dive was penetration.

Hey, my brother and I are in Florida, and very excited about our wreck diving cert course on Tuesday and Wednesday, Were going to the United Caribbean, Sea Emperor, Union Express, and the Ancient Mariner. Is there anything I should especially pay attention to for penetrating a wreck, that perhaps the book may not cover?Personal experience and such?

I will also be posting pictures and stuff upon my return:)

Just curious;

-What charter were you on?
-Who was your instructor?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom