Wreck Diving Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Protist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey, my brother and I are in Florida, and very excited about our wreck diving cert course on Tuesday and Wednesday, Were going to the United Caribbean, Sea Emperor, Union Express, and the Ancient Mariner. Is there anything I should especially pay attention to for penetrating a wreck, that perhaps the book may not cover?Personal experience and such?

I will also be posting pictures and stuff upon my return:)

Last edited:
1. Remember that a basic wreck course doesn't give you the skills to significantly penetrate a wreck. Stay within the daylight zone in view of the exit, and stay on your line.

2. Wrecks are intoxicating, and you'll be tempted to go in deeper. If a little voice in your head says "I can go just a little further and I'll be ok," turn around immediately.

3. Beware of sea monsters. You are tasty to them.

Ditto on the average basic wreck cert. It really does not prep you for any real penetration. Inside the light zone 1st and if it's PADI no more than 130 linear feet with a reel. NO progressive penetration at all. That means if you are at 100 feet you don't go more than 30 feet into the wreck. and again as long as it's in the NATURAL light zone. Even if you are carrying a light and you should have two.

Those wrecks are all at 70 FSW, and there really isn't much more than 100 feet of possible penetration in any of em. They're great sites for learning the ropes.

Hey, my brother and I are in Florida, and very excited about our wreck diving cert course on Tuesday and Wednesday, Were going to the United Caribbean, Sea Emperor, Union Express, and the Ancient Mariner. Is there anything I should especially pay attention to for penetrating a wreck, that perhaps the book may not cover?Personal experience and such?

I will also be posting pictures and stuff upon my return:)

Good buoyancy control is ten-thousand times more important *inside* a wreck than outside.

Do you know how to frog-kick?

R..

Tips:

1. Take multiple, powerful, flashlights.

2. Take scizzors that will cut metal wire.

3. Take knife with serated edge for sawing rope.

4. Remember heavy objects on the ceiling are being held there by rusting metal.

5. Blinding silt is potentialy lethal.

6. Disorientation is real.

Be safe and happy diving!

disclaimer, I have very little actual wreck penetration experience. I too am finishing my Wreck Penetration (level 1) course this weekend. You can read about my experience with the first half of the class (Overhead Protocols) here.

Make sure you can get out. That means: run a line to the exit, and maintain a safe gas reserve. When you are denied direct access to the surface, gas redundancy is crucial.

NO progressive penetration at all.

I would question the wisdom of discounting progressive penetration. It seems to me that all you're doing is telling him to turn off his directional and situational awareness.

Most certainly keep a continuous guideline to the exit, but don't rely on it unless the viz goes to nil. Keep your wits about you, pay attention to the environment: landmarks, colors, etc.. Your line is your backup.

The wreck diving specialties offered by most agencies are more of an *intro* type of class. You will likely never be where you can not see out of the wreck, or swim out easily.

Realize that this class is NOT a license for serious wreck penetration. I would hope the class makes that abundantly clear.

Have fun, and enjoy!

Didn't see it posted here so far, so thought I would mention, how 'bout a wreck reel and a pony? I agree with the allure of "just one more level/turn, hey, what's over there?" ditto on the frog kick and remember silting can come from 2 directions in a wreck:D Also, never been on the one you mentioned, but there is a HUGE difference between those which have been cleared before sinking and those which have not, in regards to hazards.

Donna

Last edited:
If you are really interested in penetration, take a cavern and cave course. Learn to plan your gas correctly, learn the correct finning techniques, learn how to use a guideline. And then take a REAL wreck certification course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom