wreck diving - bullet proof suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ended up with a USIA Techniflex suit for wreck/cave work. The entire suit is made of material similar to what DUI puts on their suit to "protect" it. The Pinnacle Evo2 is a heck of a suit as well, and the material is very sturdy. The Dive Rite 905 is a good suit, but the material isn't as tough as either the USIA or the Evo2.

All that said, the sharp metal on a rusting ship will tear ANY drysuit to shreds so keep that in mind.

If you are looking for a drysuit to penatrate wrecks, a bag suit may have too much drag. A trilam suit is going to be cheaper, but will not hold up if you are running into sharp corners. I would recommend a compressed neoprene suit. The major drawback is that they are more expensive.

You might consider the Whites' Polarflex, Diving Concepts Pinnacle 200 or even Seasoft Ti3000. You can get into these suits for under $2k and are ideal for wreck diving. (still much cheaper than a DUI CF200.) I have see all 3 of these suit perform and they are durable for wreck diving. They also have insulation to them, so you don't have to wear as heavy undergarment as you would with a trilam, and are comfortable for diving the deeper wrecks of BC.

All 3 companies have great customer service. If you are stock size, you can have your suit and diving it in less than a week.

This might seem like a silly question, but what do you mean by wreck diving? We dive a ton of wrecks around here (NC) but I bet 95% of divers don't do anything in or around those wrecks that would require any kind of special suit. The 5% who do crawl in and around the wrecks can tear up suits if they are not careful.

Rich

I've done some wreck dives with penetration in the past (nothing crazy), i was wearing a 7mm j-suit (it's an o'neill wetsuit) for these dives and didn't have to worry about damaging the suit. since i'm getting a new drysuit, i just want one where i can do wreck dives without the fear that being pushed into something sharp by the current (or simply not seeing it, etc.) will suffice to to puncture or rip the suit.
after getting everyone's input here (thanks!), i'll go for a 2mm crushed neoprene suit, probably a xcd2 bare, i'll check out a couple other ones too that have been suggested.

after getting everyone's input here (thanks!), i'll go for a 2mm crushed neoprene suit, probably a xcd2 bare, i'll check out a couple other ones too that have been suggested.

I tried the XCD2 in the process of choosing a drysuit, but didn't manage to dive it. Seems also like a very good choice, apart that it would take ages to dry. :D

I did like the more snug fit then the trilam, but then again, that all depends on your size, stock size options, possibilities for a custom fit, and etc.

Although I haven't tried one of these suits personally, I have heard good things about them. abyss
They have 4mm compressed neoprene kevlar coated suits. Again I don't have any idea of price either, but for hard core wreck penetration it might be worth a look. I have a 4mm crushed neoprene suit that I use for dirty dives. It is easy to patch and change seals etc.

Good luck in your search,
Scott

i am all for the bare xcd2 love mine it is one tuff suit. i also love my bare D6 neoprene dry suit. There both really bullet proof suits. i have about 300 dive now on my xcd2 and it still looks new. the great thing about these suits is that they have sytec valves, i have never had them leak. the two bare suit i have owned always dry i never got water in them though the valves. i picked my D6 up few years ago for about 500 dollars and it still works as good as the day i bought it and it is still as dry as ever.

Back
Top Bottom