wreck diving - bullet proof suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schnabbs

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi everyone - i'm planning to buy a new drysuit that i will use for wreckdives. i'm considering a bare drysuit (dui is too expensive and i had a really bad experience with usia customer service), but i was wondering if someone here could weigh in on their drysuit preference when wreckdiving?

Don't have a Bare suit, almost did buy their Trilam HD, but because several other factors (price being also one) I opted for Pinnacle Evolution 2.

If you're looking for a 'bulletproof' suit, have a look at Evolution 2, it's a cordura Trilam, looks and feels like it will take a lot of abuse. It is a bit on the heavier side and more rigid then Bare Trilam HD. There's nothing wrong with Bare, but having seen/felt the materials on both, Evo 2 looks like a winner for abuse...

For heavy duty suits the Dive Rite can't be beat.

I just had a look at their website - the 905 looks like a good suit, pockets and suspenders are included - I'll see if i can track a suit down around here to check it out more closely - thanks.

Checkout the Bare XCD2, which is a 2mm compressed neoprene. I was gonna get this suit, but opted for the Bare Trilam HD instead.

The only drysuit that I have actually seen torn before my own eyes was a BARE suit. So make sure you buy their top of the line tri-lam, and not their budget skinny.

I have also read in some of Gary Gentile's manuals that some wreck divers wear cover-alls over their drysuits. That is an interesting thought.

I would recommend the Techniflex by USIA but you stated you had a bad experience with their customer service. I experienced the exact opposite and found Jerry Langan (Vice President , Sales & Marketing for USIA) very helpful. In fact, in my opinion, he went above and beyond what most suit manufactures would do. I asked about a problem via private message and he answered it. A few weeks later, he took the initiative and contacted me to see how things were working out. I couldn’t ask for anything more.

Maybe it was a misunderstanding or perhaps you were not dealing with USIA directly. I don’t know but thought I would throw in my 2 psi. I will say the Techniflex is a great suit at a pretty good price. It will hold up well to wreck diving.

I have the Bare XCD2 Tech and love it. It's a tough suit that will last, I use mine for Cave diving and it's bulletproof. This is the third bare suit that I have owned and I have been pleased with them all.

I second the Bare XCD2. I own one as well. I also wreck dive in the Great Lakes. I can't say enough good things about this suit. Glad I bought it, and I would do it again. Don't buy a White's! I had nothing but problems with myWhites's and my friends did as well. White's may be a high priced product, but the quality and service is very, very poor!

This might seem like a silly question, but what do you mean by wreck diving? We dive a ton of wrecks around here (NC) but I bet 95% of divers don't do anything in or around those wrecks that would require any kind of special suit. The 5% who do crawl in and around the wrecks can tear up suits if they are not careful.

Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom