wreck anchor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paleface

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What do you use for a wreck anchor ? Is it possible to use your main anchor-plow or danforth?

You can use any thing as an anchor.Issue is getting it back on the surface.I usually use a grapple hook on 8 to 10' of chain that I drop on the wreck and have 1st diver tie it in..Last diver unties it and sends it up slowly on a lift bag.

Attached to the eye of the grapnel is 10-20’ of nylon rope. There may be a clip on the end. The first diver in, unwraps the line and shifts the grapnel as required to get it to a firm set, the line is then used to tie into a near by area or a second location if possible so that if the grapnel pulls out, the boat is still tied into the wreck.

On some boats, the captain will have the mate jump in and then keep the boat at slow ahead to put slack in the line and allow the diver to move the grapnel if needed. Once set, the diver lets the boat know topside by releasing a marker. Many times this is a Styrofoam coffee cup, which is when you hear “Cups Up!” which means the ocean is now open for diving. This takes a lot of preplanning between the mate and the captain and is usually done with the larger boats.

On other boats, you just hope that the grapnel stays in till the first diver gets down to it.

We use home made grapnels made up out of concrete reinforcement bars (rebar), The rebar is soft enough so that if you have to you can use the boat to pull it out of the wreck, the rebar is soft enough to bend straight and you then use a sledge to bend it back into shape back on the dock.

You can use a danforth anchor if you rig it to "breakaway" when its stuck. This method is popular in south florida for anchoring in and around reefs. Should work on wrecks as well. Here's a drawing of what I mean.

anchor.jpg

I use zip ties to attach the chain along the way or you can even use a wire hanger. If the anchor is stuck and can not come up the zip ties "breakaway" and you can pull the anchor straight up by the head.

I recommend using an Aluminum wreck anchor, I think it's called a "Mighty Mite" and sold at West Marine. It's weighted at 8, 12 or 16 pounds and has AL tines, which will hold fast to a wreck but give when, or if, you need to pull free. As GillDiver mentions, you should have a system where the first diver down ties you in with a length of line and the last diver releases the hook. Depending on what you're diving on, either float it free or cast it into the sand. The nice thing about the AL wreck anchor is IF it catches on something, you can pull it free. Once recovered onboard just bend the tines back into place.

I also recommend using 10-15 ft of chain on your anchors. Not only does ot help to keep the anchor on the bottom while trying to hook a wreck, once on the wreck it's prevent chafing of your anchor rode.

Last it of advice is to mark your anchor rode with a color scheme (phots in my photo gallery). it lets you know how much anchor rode you have in the water, making anchoring safer and easier.

Safe Diving,
Wil

I tie it in or clip it with a short chain and clevis and before we leave I untie it and cast it away. This works well with small boats like ours and small anchors and relatively low current etc. Manhandling a large anchor on a large boat in heavy water could get you hurt. Here I am lifting the anchor with my 18 pound Oxy wing and hauling the anchor clear on our way out so that it will not damage the wreck or reef when I haul it or get stuck. My wife is already on the anchor line and headed up.

IMG_1594_edited-1.jpg

Here my wife checks the anchor for me to ensure it is solid:

IMG_1544_edited-1.jpg

N

A danforth is a OK anchor, but will sail if pulled to fast even with scope and a chain lead,my pal made a nice hook bent 2 rod's (1/2") diam after he welded them in a X with a center post and eye like a giant treble hook, and its got a tie in line attached,no picture guess I will take one its a cheap and easy DIY thing to do.
It hooks in great to wrecks,slides thru the sand,clay, mud bottom,niagara escarpment,, of Lake Michigan and it stays low on pull ins.
bad thing it dose take up some room on the boat,,and if you get hooked in to a big old something the only thing is a dive down to release or cut the line.
its cheaper than a SS Danforth.
Dive safe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom