WPB Rpt Jun15- Walker's Charters Saves Me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Y E S!,,Below is a picture of my setup.

Here's a picture below.

A blank white slate with a note written on it takes too long and the captain may get it wrong. So I have a pre-made form that just has "Check Marks" for everything they want to know. I can mark the boxes in less than 10 seconds and shoot the SMB within the first 60 seconds of hitting the bottom.

Every person who grabs my "Txt Msg" on the surface gets a ton of information and knows exactly what to expect and it gives them time to prepare. In today's dives it meant that I changed the agreed upon dive plan with the captain while I was underwater. This is a great system if you tend to wander away from the divemaster.

View attachment 665683

Great idea! This is what SB is all about. Sharing great ideas like this with the rest of the dive community. Thanks @Johnoly

Y E S!,,Below is a picture of my setup.

Here's a picture below.

A blank white slate with a note written on it takes too long and the captain may get it wrong. So I have a pre-made form that just has "Check Marks" for everything they want to know. I can mark the boxes in less than 10 seconds and shoot the SMB within the first 60 seconds of hitting the bottom.

Every person who grabs my "Txt Msg" on the surface gets a ton of information and knows exactly what to expect and it gives them time to prepare. In today's dives it meant that I changed the agreed upon dive plan with the captain while I was underwater. This is a great system if you tend to wander away from the divemaster.

View attachment 665683

You crack me up @Johnoly!! Text message :rofl3:

I really like this process!!

Yes, great idea indeed! I'm glad I asked. I told my wife, he must have one heck of a cell phone....
I have sent up a safety sausage a handful of times while diving off WPB and it's usually when I either don't make it to the drop zone target or get lost somewhere along the way. The few times I've done it, the boat's been right there when I slowly surface and do a short 3 to 5 minute deco.
I love this note/old school aqua-text message deal though and foresee where a printed waterproof sheet may start coming with a newly bought safety sausage. (Maybe from DiveRite?)

Gene

I've never dove (dived?) with Walkers but I have friends who do, they say they're great.

Your "text message" only works if it's a hot drop correct? (Hot drop meaning without setting an anchor for those that don't know). That way the captain just moves the boat over to retrieve your message. If they do set anchor how do they get the message? Or maybe you don't use it when ascending to the same spot and this is only used for drift dives.

It's a very cool idea nonetheless, just wondering about the logistics topside in different situations. Thanks for sharing...now where's that piece of crap PADI smb so I can build an aquatic text message:D
Johnoly has sent a text to me while diving from our boat. it is real simple if you see a small smb float up its either a text or a fish so we pick it up. The full size smb usually means lost the flag or got separated if a group in which case we look for bubbles and wait for a diver to appear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom