wp-dc34

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasoncassanova

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
if i was to get this housing, aside from extra o-rings, what other accessories do i need to get?

Having an extra tube of o-ring grease is nice. I'd order that along with an extra o-ring. That should have you set up for at least a couple of years of UW camera use.

At some point, you might want to buy a used G11 on Ebay for a backup.

Having an extra tube of o-ring grease is nice. I'd order that along with an extra o-ring. That should have you set up for at least a couple of years of UW camera use.

At some point, you might want to buy a used G11 on Ebay for a backup.

i'm planning to get three spare o-rings and from what you've suggested... two tubes of o-ring grease, got it :)

Any idea what the expected shelf-life is for one of those Canon housing o-rings?
I'm not really sure what material they are made of.
BunaN (nitrile) o-rings have a limited shelf-life (1-3 yrs.?)
Viton and EPDM o-rings have a much longer shelf-life (indefinite?).

Getting 3 o-rings is definitely overkill. These canon housings are built well and the o-rings last a very long time. I've had 3 canon housings and never had to change an o-ring on one in 3 yrs. Once you take it out occasionally and give it a little grease, it should last you for years. You definitely need to get the silicon and you can never have too much. Another thing you may consider buying would be the weights, especially if you don't have a strobe to weigh your rig down a bit. The housing will be positively buoyant and will take any chance to float on up which can be a real pain in the neck . Good luck.

Same had mine for 2 years never changed

i found silcone pump very handy for those stuck buttons also

have a look here for maintenance on G series houseings (and most others)

Underwater Camera Maintenance

Getting 3 o-rings is definitely overkill. These canon housings are built well and the o-rings last a very long time. I've had 3 canon housings and never had to change an o-ring on one in 3 yrs. Once you take it out occasionally and give it a little grease, it should last you for years. You definitely need to get the silicon and you can never have too much. Another thing you may consider buying would be the weights, especially if you don't have a strobe to weigh your rig down a bit. The housing will be positively buoyant and will take any chance to float on up which can be a real pain in the neck . Good luck.

i just thought of getting three o-rings since i saw there was a 3 piece in one package for sale, though i also don't know where to get where you just buy one piece :idk:

Same had mine for 2 years never changed

i found silcone pump very handy for those stuck buttons also

have a look here for maintenance on G series houseings (and most others)

Underwater Camera Maintenance

thanks for the link, i saw that in one of my searches, i even saw one where you use a sanitary napkin to avoid the splashing inside the housing if every it gets flooded :D

thanks for the link, i saw that in one of my searches, i even saw one where you use a sanitary napkin to avoid the splashing inside the housing if every it gets flooded :D

The mini panty liners, the ones without the cotton insides, are good to have if you are in a high humidity area. I actually had drops of condensation dripping down the inside of my small P&S housing as the heat from the camera increased. And that was WITH a desiccant pack! The panty liner will absorb all that moisture. Just trim it to fit that space at the bottom of the housing, between the camera and the bottom. Do NOT use if it's full of cotton fluff! That mess will get on your o-ring and cause a flood for sure!

For my C-5050/PT rig or the E-PL1/PT rig I use 2 of the 1 gram Silica Gel dessicant packs from Preserve Smart They will turn from dark blue to light pink as they absorb, so I can tell at a glance if I need to change them. You can also order 50 gram packs of the oven/microwave rechargeable dessicant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom