Wow...sometimes living in Japan really rocks!!! LOL.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
So....just over a year ago we switched mobile phone providers from NTT DoCoMo to KDDI's "au". It was my wifes' idea because Japanese companies tend to forget about faithful customers in their desire to woo new ones! We sent out a wake up call.....DoCoMo wasn't impressed.

Well the new KKDI mobile that I got was cool enough...... built in GPS, all the Internet stuff (at a price), waterproof (Casio G-Shock), electronic compass..... I mean....just the sort of thing that an adventurous bloke like me...into trekking...cayaking...scuba....you know what I mean....stuff I USED to be able to do! :D

It was a great phone.....

But it lacked one function that REALLY pissed me off. It didn't have auto-power off and on so you could set it to save it's batteries while you were asleep!!

That bugged me......and my wife was ashamed.

So......a couple of days ago she told me that KDDI was having a special campaign this weekend, and as I'd had the other phone for just over a year I might be able to upgrade for very little cost. So we went today to have a look.

Now I'm sitting at home with one of these....

casio-exilim-w53ca-11.jpg

(I got the black one...:wink:)

5.1 mega pixels (same as my Oly C5050), fast f2.8 wide angle lens with image stabilisation and colour correction.... 9 point auto-focus (same as my Canon 400D DSLR)!!!!!!! Auto-bracketing....exposure compensation.....and...and....

and the bloody thing is a telephone!!!!! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Oh yeah....... they gave it to us for nothing..... and told me that if I wanted to still use the G-Shock sometimes......you know.....for driving up a mountain.....or close to the sea on dive days etc.......just switch the sim card inside between the phones.

How cool is that????? :D

(oh yeah....one bummer.....it still doesn't have the auto-power on/off....... but somehow....now I don't care!)

(oh yeah......as it was free she changed her phone too.....got a white one!!!)

Casio Exilim 5MP camera-phone takes on Sony Ericsson’s Cybershots : Mobile Mentalism

5.1 mega pixels (same as my Oly C5050), fast f2.8 wide angle lens with image stabilisation and colour correction.... 9 point auto-focus (same as my Canon 400D DSLR)!!!!!!! Auto-bracketing....exposure compensation....

Just pick up the underwater housing for it and you're all set. :D

If they bring that stateside I've found my new phone.

Just pick up the underwater housing for it and you're all set. :D

If they bring that stateside I've found my new phone.
It'll probably happen in a few months/half a year or so. Japan is a big market, but the rest of the world is much bigger! :eyebrow:

They just like releasing stuff here ahead of the game so they can feel good about themselves and what they can do. It's pretty understandable...... :D

But what a cool gadget huh? I'll take a few shots over the weekend and post them....

What's a cell phone?

Man.... That ROCKS!! It's more like a digital camera that just happens to be a phone.

Kakkoii!! :thumb:
That's right....it is. Most of the other kind of stuff they are putting on the new phones...FM radio, TV etc isn't on it. They're charging lot's of money for those kind of phones. But this is really different. It is basically Casio's Exilim camera with added phone features....which is all I need. It still has Internet access and GPS - the only stuff I use for checking the weather or finding somewhere on foot in Fukuoka - so I'm pretty made up with it.

I'm going to take a few shots today to see how it is in reality. Last night though I took some test shots inside and without downloading them to the computer yet the colours looked really good and bright! You can put a 2GB mini SD card in it so space isn't a problem.

This is the nicest new toy I had in a while! :D

Ok....I have a few shots, and have learned a few things.

The most important thing is that the lens is actually incredibly wide-angle. This can make for some strange lines in a shot if one is unaware what effect the lens is going to produce.

Still....... for a camera on a phone it's not too shabby.....

casio1.jpg

casio2.jpg

casio3.jpg

casio4.jpg

casio5.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom