Now I am getting the full $40/month Veteran discount with Verizon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I applied for this discount before as discussed one this thread: $40/month Verizon discounts for Veterans, but that failed as it did for some others that tried. The information from their site or their agents was unclear and varied with whom I asked, but they finally decided that the original "new Verizon Plan Unlimited" did not qualify for the full discount for some reason, so we got 15% off of my data plan only, or $16.50/month.

We just changed our data plan to the new Start plan that came out this week as it's really all we need. We lost Mobile Hotspot, but only one of us was using that, and my granddaughter will just have to live without it. Her parents spoil my grandkids so much anyway that I usually don't even try, and she gets the hottest new iphone every other year.

So we're saving $60/month on six phones with the new plan, plus $40 - 16.50 = $23.50/month on the better Military discount, and the poor agent I talked with about the changes was so unprepared for my questions he gave me a $30 one-time discount. Ok, thanks! We did lose the $10/month paperless & autopay from Debit card discount we were enjoying as those requirements are built into the newest plans, but oh well.

So, whatever Verizon plan you are on now, look at the new ones. They have two new $40/month plans (ok $45/month if you have less than five phones) for those who want more than we do, or a $50/$55/month for the geek who has to have the most, mix as you wish for different lines, and I expect that they will qualify for the full Military discount as long as you have three or more phones. If you have not signed up for the Military discount, do so at Military discounts | Verizon Wireless All a Veteran needs is a copy of his DD-214, and those can be ordered online if you've lost yours.

You people deserve every penny thank you sir! Don't matter to me what ya'll did either, pushing paper or pushing dirt.

There are other phone plans that are much cheaper, I know, but they do offer less in support & service. I do like the package we get from Verizon along with help when needed. The grandkids and their parents have gotten better about taking care of their phones so we haven't had an insurance claim in a year or two, but if we dropped it - I'm sure Murphy's laws would play against us.

That's a great deal! We're paying $129.50 per month with T-Mobile but we do have a hotspot, free internet (although it gets slow) and texting in Mexico and Europe, no roaming fees and unlimited data. It has been worth it as we have begun traveling more. But I need to look into this and see if it will work for us. Thanks for the heads-up!

That's a great deal! We're paying $129.50 per month with T-Mobile but we do have a hotspot, free internet (although it gets slow) and texting in Mexico and Europe, no roaming fees and unlimited data. It has been worth it as we have begun traveling more. But I need to look into this and see if it will work for us. Thanks for the heads-up!
Well, I don't guess you have three phones for that price, and this discount requires that many. I think you'd still qualify for the 15% Vet discount, but that wouldn't help much. Our combined savings for changing plans plus $40/month Vet discount was $73½/month on six phones.

But check it out. They also give bonuses to customers they steal from other companies. It pays to review choices annually. I have a calendar reminder to call AT&T about my landline each year, threatening to quit if they don't give me a better deal. Always works.

Revisiting this subject...

My son-in-law who is on our family group just started with USPS and now qualifies for 20% for up to six lines (the number we currently have) if I read that correctly, so that beats the 15% military discount. Except we are on $30/month plans and the USPS discount requires $34.99/month plans.

IMG_5239 b.png

I could call and discuss this, except even if they approved the lower-cost plan, 6 x $30/month x 0.2 = $36/month possible discount, while we are already receiving $40/month. Why bother.

Then as I double checked our existing discount, I have to wonder how we are getting $40/month? 6 x $30/month x 0.15 = $27/month. so how are we getting the greater discount?

Then too, the answers vary on whom you ask when you do call, so I think I'll leave well enough alone.

Dang I wish I had half your time :)

Dang I wish I had half your time :)
That didn't take me long. True, I am retired and sometimes bored, but still.

I need to check mine, thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom