Wow! It's been 7 years!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember watching to videos people were posting just after, the Scuba Club one was just unbelieveable with the waves and water up to the front of that property.

Was there 9 months after, and could not believe the progress is such a short period of time.

Our hotel, Sol Cabanas del Caribe was wiped off the map...
That's very sad, isn't it? Cabanas was the first place I stayed on the island back in 1978, and although I never stayed there again, on most trips we would make a sunset pilgrimage to the restaurant on the seawall to feed the sergeant majors and tangs with the stale bread the waiters would bring to the table and to watch the tarpon come out when they turned on the underwater lights. It always saddens me when we dive the northern reefs and we pass by the ruins of Cabanas.

I watched that video and was totally amazed. I've been through several hurricanes in the States, and cleanup and rebuilding was never that fast or that thorough.

The next time I find myself caught in a disaster, I hope to be surrounded by "lazy-ass Mexicans".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom