Wound in the tropics ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just cleaned it after 24hrs of sugar and betadine and it looks better already hopefully it will stay clean a
The toe is quite swollen. It is difficult to assess redness/pain/warmth from your post. If you have any of the mentioned symptoms I advice you to see a doctor and get proper treatment.
Personally, I think this toe now needs a proper doc!
Edit: Have a chat with your insurance company. They might have a possibility for getting in contact with a doctor over the phone.

Thanks, I'm definitely going to assess over the next 24hrs, there is a little redness and swelling on the toe but it was a nasty cut and fall, rest of foot looks ok, I have access to some antibiotic biotic ointment now and can get medicine if I need it I think.

Attachments

• IMG_20230729_132838631_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230729_132838631_HDR.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 25
It looks like you lost tissue in this injury, and in the third picture it looks deeper than I thought originally. It looks deeper than a simple abrasion. It's going to take a while to heal. There are some spots of dead tissue.
So would you still say you would dive with this?

I am a random commenter on the internet NOT a doctor.

That said, one of the most important things you can do for a wound like that is not only keep it clean, but also debride it (remove the dead skin/tissue). Don't go crazy and damage the healing areas or remove scab, but that white mushy dead skin is just feeding bacteria. It's gotta go! Scrubbing won't be comfortable but it will reduce the chance of infection and speed healing. Warm water and soap, maybe tweezers. If it starts feeling like the whole toe or part of your foot is red/puffy/swelling/hot/getting worse EVEN A LITTLE BIT then a real infection has set in and you need real antibiotics without delay because these things can spread fast.

As for diving - probably not good for it, probably does increase the chance of weird infection, but I personally would still dive with that injury. Not saying its a good idea, make your own decision. If you do dive, make sure to protect it during the dive and clean it immediately after diving.

So would you still say you would dive with this?
If I were on a 1-2 week dive trip to a great location, I would still dive with it. I know it would take longer to heal, but I could take care of it.
I am not recommending that the OP dive, mainly because he is apparently in some third world location and does not know how to take care of it.

Do you have a DAN membership? I don't know what your phone situation is, but a call to a DAN doctor can be very helpful. Do you have travel insurance? Call the emergency number for the travel insurance company. If you did not travel with a wound care or first aid kit, you need to get the proper supplies for self care. Here is a link for wound care from the DAN.org medical travel guide. Wilderness Wound Care. This is a great PDF to travel with for travel diving medical care.

Thanks, so
I am a random commenter on the internet NOT a doctor.

That said, one of the most important things you can do for a wound like that is not only keep it clean, but also debride it (remove the dead skin/tissue). Don't go crazy and damage the healing areas or remove scab, but that white mushy dead skin is just feeding bacteria. It's gotta go! Scrubbing won't be comfortable but it will reduce the chance of infection and speed healing. Warm water and soap, maybe tweezers. If it starts feeling like the whole toe or part of your foot is red/puffy/swelling/hot/getting worse EVEN A LITTLE BIT then a real infection has set in and you need real antibiotics without delay because these things can spread fast.

As for diving - probably not good for it, probably does increase the chance of weird infection, but I personally would still dive with that injury. Not saying its a good idea, make your own decision. If you do dive, make sure to protect it during the dive and clean it immediately after diving.

Thanks solid advice, didn't know about the dead tissue bit initially but pulled some off yesterday, thank you.

If I were on a 1-2 week dive trip to a great location, I would still dive with it. I know it would take longer to heal, but I could take care of it.
I am not recommending that the OP dive, mainly because he is apparently in some third world location and does not know how to take care of it.

It's not that I don't know, I just wanted to know the best way to take care of it, in this kind of location, seems like there are many best answers too !!

Th
Do you have a DAN membership? I don't know what your phone situation is, but a call to a DAN doctor can be very helpful. Do you have travel insurance? Call the emergency number for the travel insurance company. If you did not travel with a wound care or first aid kit, you need to get the proper supplies for self care. Here is a link for wound care from the DAN.org medical travel guide. Wilderness Wound Care. This is a great PDF to travel with for travel diving medical care.

Thanks, great link and very helpful.

Posted on a surfers forum and whilst a small percentage were absolute knobs about it, many were very helpful and kept suggesting this stuff and I started with it about 12 hrs ago.
The toe was a little swollen but not infected, skin normal colour, rest of foot fine with no swelling.
I think I might just get away with this, if there are any changes I will get antibiotic cream on it straight away and go to a clinic I have found out about.
Thanks everyone for there help, brilliant community of helpful people and unlike the surfer group, zero knobs

Attachments

• a46e3d17f70fb0d4fe8ca245af107d24.jpeg
    a46e3d17f70fb0d4fe8ca245af107d24.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 26
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom