Wound in the tropics ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
kept it dry until a scab formed over it
No scab formed over it. You could still see the bone at the bottom and it itched like hell. Idaho is stupid dry in the dead of winter. But thanks for playing. :D :D :D
Holy hot tubs, Batman!
They blended the water from the hot springs with the river water to get it cool enough. One pool was 100, another at 94 and another around 80, if I remember rightly. It was huge and truly magical.
What about when you go into a lake and the perch come over and eat your scabs? Infection? No infection? Magical perch healing powers?
People even pay for that experience! I remember being in one of the Cenotes near Tulum, and the Gourami were worse than the "Kentucky Pirahna" as we were gearing up to do a cave dive.

Dude, is there not any actual doctor on this board you can tag? People really get very nasty infection this way. I have seen it many times. I've had three pretty nasty infections myself working in the tropics ... and the once I had weren't anywhere close to what I have seen other people getting.
Medical advice from diving-related injury and relation to continuing diving? There's probably a number on your DAN card with somebody that's not a keyboard commando or that stayed at Holiday Inn Express once.

Not that I don't think a lot of the advice is probably good, but...

1690495092303.png

Lava Hot Springs​

Thanks to all who have responded so far, I am in West Papua, serious tropics here, at the moment I am putting sugar with betadine on it and am going to stay out of the water for a few days until it starts to heal, I'm trying to air it, stay off it and keep it clean.
Can't believe it happened on day 1, unkept slippery jetty with algae on it was the problem.
So confusing having so many contrasting opinions , medical advice relevant to tropical conditions would be appreciated.

Both statements are true. There was a fine scab around the ridge, but not over the entire wound. The exposed muscle looked desiccated. I wish I took a picture of it back then. Nonetheless, moisture is a wound's best friend. It always has been whether you believe it or not!

Thanks to all who have responded so far, I am in West Papua, serious tropics here, at the moment I am putting sugar with betadine on it and am going to stay out of the water for a few days until it starts to heal, I'm trying to air it, stay off it and keep it clean.
Hey just for the record. I meant, you can put sugar on if you have an infection and no access to stuff from a doctor. I didn't say you should dump sugar on your fresh wound. I wouldn't screw with the fresh wound. Just saying.

I know, I searched it and seems there are lots of good reasons too.

I would not recommend this but ....

On first day in Coz I slipped and cut 1.5" gash on my leg on a broken pool tile.

I did not want doc to tell me no diving. I stitched closed with sterilized thread and needle from hotel repair kit. I dressed with antibiotic ointment and waterproof dressing from Chedraui. Changed daily after diving. No complications, kept my leg LOL.

I probably got lucky and I WOULD NOT recommend it to anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom