would you put a inexperienced diver on this dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zenheadhunter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Consider this,you have a new diver who has just certified in ow and going for there aow and had major trouble in there checkout dives with clearing(nose bleeding,dizziness,ear pain) and some buoyancy control issues. This diver has not made any dives since there checkout dive but are going to do a dive with strong currents and to a mod of 134' in the atlantic with 1/2 of there equipment being new to them with 0 dives on this equipment. Personally i like this diver and would hate to see them get into trouble .I mentioned some of the conditions and possible issues where as they could get separated from the dm and or the instructor (visibility can go away quickly on this wreck site)and be on their own. They have never used or shot a smb and did not know what a finger spool was for etc. Am i wrong for thinking this is to much to soon ?:idk:

Anyone that enables this dive is at best a poor friend or not taking professional responsibility.

I'd say they aren't diving, period, until they've done at minimum a pool session with their new gear, and worked on their problem skills some more. I wouldn't take them to that dive site until they had several more dives under their belt as well. Not with posible low vis, high current, deep site and posible separation. Sounds like a recepie for making the news, in a bad way. I concur, anyone taking that diver to that divesite would not be acting reasonably prudent, and if I was in a jury after an accident, I'd say guilty.

Not only no, but hell no! 134' is deep. At those depths there will be narcosis. NDL's are only about 6 minutes and you need to have some idea of gas management. Get a new diver down there going through air like a Hoover with no real buoyancy control in a silt out, (since he's new what are the chances he won't stir things up?), and it's just an accident waiting to happen.

Only a fool would do that.

The number of "news" in the equation would make me extremely hesitant and the fact that they are having problems with equalising etc would make it a NO

From what you say it sounds to me as if they would be in way over their head ... you need to learn to crawl before you can walk.

Consider this,you have a new diver who has just certified in ow and going for there aow and had major trouble in there checkout dives with clearing(nose bleeding,dizziness,ear pain) and some buoyancy control issues. This diver has not made any dives since there checkout dive but are going to do a dive with strong currents and to a mod of 134' in the atlantic with 1/2 of there equipment being new to them with 0 dives on this equipment. Personally i like this diver and would hate to see them get into trouble .I mentioned some of the conditions and possible issues where as they could get separated from the dm and or the instructor (visibility can go away quickly on this wreck site)and be on their own. They have never used or shot a smb and did not know what a finger spool was for etc. Am i wrong for thinking this is to much to soon ?:idk:

Stick to the rule that if you have to ask, the answer is they are not ready.

The last thing you want is putting a friend into a situation where he or she could get into trouble.

SangP

No ... this diver isn't even close to being ready to consider this dive. They need to, at a minimum ...

- get used to the new gear
- get some experience at shallower depths
- get the buoyancy under control
- resolve the clearing issues

And even then without some experience under stressful conditions, some gas management knowledge, and an ability to deploy an SMB, they're cutting their safety margins pretty thin.

New divers don't know what they don't know ... but for chrissakes, somebody needs to sell this person a clue ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree that this dive is to advanced at this time for this diver .I said my peace to this diver and i think he has been convinced "that this will be no big deal trust me i won,t let anything go wrong".I think a diver is ultimately responsible for themselves and their own safety .I,m sure every diver has seen what a trust me dive can come to as some divers have barely made it or have lost their life in the process .I can think of one such situation when 3 experienced cave divers entered a cave and 1 had never dived the cave before and in his words this was a trust me dive where the other 2 diver said they knew their way and chose to not run a line in a offshoot they took and became disoriented in this off shoot and became lost.fortunately they made their way out with 150 psi left between them.You do not comemuch closer to the reaper than that. I hope this diver can hear me saying do you think your ready for this dive and puts some more thought into their decision.I will not say anymore to this diver ,since they are a adult and the choice is theirs.

I think he has been convinced "that this will be no big deal trust me i won,t let anything go wrong".
I once had a friend who took that same advice from an instructor ...

... he died.

Trust me ... things DO go wrong ... especially when you're new.

Have him read this thread ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If all I had was one major piece of equipment that I had not trained with I would not make that dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom